Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2004 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Turner
Can anybody help clarify who is legally responsible/accountable (Duty Holder) for APPROVING Risk Assessments. I understand that this must be competent person but can anybody comment upon -

`CONTRACTOR shall review and APPROVE SUBCONTRACTOR's risk management system, risk assessment plan, risk prevention/mitigation measures and risk action closeout reports'.

I look forward to receiving any advice on this matter. In this particular case the Contractor is the design / site management team who have been appointed by the client to select and manage subcontractor design & construction activities.

Regards Martin T
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2004 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Martin,

you are quite correct - the competent person. Which means that the contractor must employ someone with the competence/training/experience which will qualify him/her to evaluate and approve (or not) RAs. A line manager (eg purchasing) may very well not have that competence.

Sub-contractor must employ someone with the competence/training/experience which will qualify him/her to do RAs.

Could be the same person. I find this a fairly common clause in contracts.

Merv
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2004 20:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion
We act in many areas and we read and "approve" assessments, however, do not know everything so we read and check over the most common things that could be considered, but in a number of areas, this is passed to one or more dependent on how high original risk had been rated.

Jeff Manion