Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2004 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Victoria Am I right to think that all fire extinguishers within an office environment must be wall mounted or on a special stand. We currently have some extinguishers which are simply placed on the floor which I do not think is compliant? Is there any legislation/code of practice in relation to this?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2004 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Smyth BS 5306 Part 3 should cover this. Fire extinguishers should whereever possible be wall mounted, with the top of the extinguisher 1 metre from the floor. Such location should be designated Fire Points which should include the information pertaining to the type of extinguisher located there. I hope this of value Victoria!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2004 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The BS sets the standard, various guidance publications (eg Fire Safety: An Employer's Guide')say the same and, if there is a current fire certificate, this will state what is needed, where and how they should be.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 May 2004 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Cooper As per Terry's message really, information is in section 7 (Siting of extinguishers) BS 5306-8:2000. Extinguishers up to 4kg should be wall mounted with their carrying handles at around 1.5 M from the floor, over 4kg the height lower at 1M. But the language is 'should' and not 'must' - be wall mounted, plastic stands which are quite low can be used which can avoid drilling holes in your oak panelled offices for example! These offer the opportunity to reposition easily and should ensure the equipment is 'conspicuous'. Correct siting on exit routes and by fire exits and being easily spotted are very important, and wall hanging sometimes puts off the 'door propers', but not all the 'coat hangers'. Contact me directly if you would like any more info. Regards Chris Cooper