Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2004 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By margaretconlon How can i legally deal with someone turning up for work on a Monday morning, after a Sunday night on the beer. We work in a high risk environment, although the managers are reluctant to tackle this issue, due to the fact that a neighbouring company sacked someone for coming into work under the influence and were taken for unfair dismissal and lost the case because they had no proof that the accused worker was under the influence (no way of measuring) I would like to know how other companies deal with this issue. Thanks Margaret
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2004 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Margaret, A similar issue was discussed on this forum only a week or so ago, so you may wish to look in the archives. I suspect the only way you can be sure anyone is under the influence of alcohol is by testing them. Screening for drugs and alcohol is not that uncommon but is still fraught with difficulties. There may be other measures that are less extreme, but nothing is fool-proof or without problems. It should be made clear to staff that working under the influence of drugs or alcohol is not acceptable, for their safety and of others. Perhaps some peer pressure might be the best answer. No one wants to be put at risk by an irresponsible employee. Ray
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2004 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mork Have you seen: http://www.hse.gov.uk/alcoholdrugs/index.htm
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 May 2004 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Knight Hi I am in the mining industry and it is an accepted practice that our people submit for Breath Alcohol testing. This is done using a digital hand hald alcoliser commonly available. It is part of our fitness for work policy. To be pro-active in this area we have a tester available at the camp for self testing. The system was introduced as part of the Site safety and Environmemnt Committee initiative and the detail was conveyed to the workforce before adopting the system. Works well. Cheers J