Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2004 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
I have been asked to look at a staircase in a factory that we have placed a student into. I was asked by one of our placement officers who had safety concerns about this staircase.

I went there this morning to find a very narrow and steep wooden staircase, there is no other means of entry to the offices. The company put up a handrail to reduce the risk but found it restricted thye staircase even more so removed it again. the building cannot be changed.

The placement officers want to know if I can come up with any solutionbs or she will pull the student from this placement (the placement is for 12 months.

Can anyone think of a way around this or shall we pull the student??

Many thanks

Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2004 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Julie Geairns
How about getting a guide rope put up - this will not restrict the width of the staircase but will reduce the risk of someone falling?

Julie
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 May 2004 20:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
A wooden staircase? No other fire escape?

Can't be certain without seeing the place, and a full risk assessment, but even apart from the stair safety angle I don't think I would consider a placement there, and I do know how difficult it is to find suitable placements, and the disappointment felt by all parties when you have to reject one.

Just in case anyone without experience of student placements thinks I'm a bit overcautious, they do require extra special care

Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2004 20:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope
maybe a risk takers response, but I would be trying to quantify the risk: eg how often they have to go up the stairs, what they have to carry, how well lit it is, type of footwear etc...handrails are only one measure and they are low on the risk control hierarchy requiring user participation (more likely the older you get!)

It is essential if we are to educate workers to be safe to ensure that Sudents on work placement get guided exposure to normal every day risks.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2004 08:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Many thanks to the responses.

The staircase is used constantly by the student as she has to get info from drivers and then back up to office etc. The lighting is poor and bulb is often blown.

As well as this staircase there are other safety concerns over the placement, am trying to help them carry out risk assessments and help them develop safe systems of work etc. The problem is they are really keen so dont want them to see us as the enemy

Ian
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2004 20:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
I know what you're saying, Ian.

I used to bend over backwards to help our placements - I even wrote a policy document for two of them! - but sometimes there comes a point where you have to cut your losses and let them go.

It sounds as though you've reached that point

Laurie
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2004 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Ian - I would have gone along with Julie's suggestion (a very practical solution which would resolve the problem - and used extensively by English Heritage and the like in old buildings) but haven't you answered your own question with your last comments.

'The staircase is used constantly by the student as she has to get info from drivers and then back up to office etc. The lighting is poor and bulb is often blown.

As well as this staircase there are other safety concerns over the placement, am trying to help them carry out risk assessments and help them develop safe systems of work etc.'

Geoff
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2004 23:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
Is it not the case that a new staircase could be fitted (at a cost) but your company won't spend money? Any building can be altered with the right will and the cash. Not wanting to add to your problems but what about employing disabled workers? Do you or will you ever comply with the DDA?

mike
Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2004 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Mike

Just to let you know that we are a CXollege of Fe and this workplace is a long term placement for one of our students in the "real world".

Due to all the problems we have decided to stop this placement as the company was unwilling to change things

Thanks for all the responses

Ian