Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2004 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West I require ladders suitable for working nearby to overhead electric power lines. Does anyone know of a supplier. The ideal situation would be foldable / stepladders. The costs will determine whether we hire or rent the ladders. Yours in anticipation. Kev
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2004 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Kevin I had best say it first "Why Ladders?". These really only should be chosen if there is no suitable alternative eg when space is VERY restricted. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2004 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West We need to raise men up to 2.4 m height to reach a canopy adjacent to overhead electrical lines (not within 2.75m from the lines and not working with anything connected to the lines) The work is of a very short duration.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2004 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart SGB Youngman have a range of fibre glass ladders in their trade section. www.sgb.co.uk Also Boddingtons Electrical supply them to EA 13-1 and IEC 855 specifications. www.boddingtons-electrical.com
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2004 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Cassidy Try Orange Ladders - +44 (01275) 874864 ask for Dave McGilvry. They manufacture GRP ladders.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 May 2004 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Len Newman Depending on the voltage, beware of the distance you are getting to the overhead conductors. Suggest that you contact the supply company in that area and thay will help you.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 May 2004 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Kevin The notion that it is only short duration is a fallacious argument for me. The work must be able to be undertaken whilst 3 points of contact are made. There are numerous fold up type alloy towers that would allow such work to be undertaken with a far greater degree of safety than ladders. Bob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 May 2004 14:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood A power outage must be your first consideration - stress to the REC that such work cannot be done otherwise unless they co-operate fully in assisting with a full risk assessment of the activity. If power is on, they must be notified immediately before work and the activity should of course be carried out in a safe manner in accordance with an agreed (with all parties) safe working procedure, derived from the risk assessment. If using an insulated ladder, the person must use a fall arrest harness with an attachment point on a fixed object, pre-assessed for its loading. the person must also use a belt attachment to enable use of both hands, like the elect/telecom pole climbers use. Lastly, the person must be validated as competent to do the activity and use the devices for his safety. A platform may actually need just as much preparation but it depends on access risks and how much work is to be done. if it is simply tree-lopping, and the ladder needs to be moved frequently, then that is probably better. Also think about insulated tools if done live. Regards, George
Admin  
#9 Posted : 25 May 2004 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West The work entails the need to inspect canopy soffits for the presence of asbestos. Overhead power lines are near by, but further than 1.25m away thus reducing the risk of arcing. The use of insulated ladders is intended to further reduce this risk. The 'work' does not entail any lifting, pushing or carrying of loads up the ladder. Thanks to all those who have answered my simple request for a suitable supplier of insulated ladders. To all those who have second guessed why, how and what we are doing should remember in such a forum as this, the supplying of the complete risk assessment and safety method statement is not always possible. However, it does not mean alternatives have not been considered, safety method statements have not been written and agreed upon and competent staff not employed. I think a simple question deserves a simple answer. Advice is fine when asked for. Kev
Admin  
#10 Posted : 25 May 2004 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoffrey It amazes me how we can complicate the simplest request for information. Kevin isn't being ungrateful, just stating a simple truth.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 25 May 2004 22:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Kevin We have two lovely fibreglass ladders which I believe we bought from R S Components (they have an online catalogue). I have whizzed into their catalogue but can only see a two part extension ladder there at the moment which is £312.87 and extends up to 5.55m - recommended for electrical work. So the price is reasonable for an industrial ladder and hardly worth hiring. I know that as soon as you buy one you will use it again and again "just to be safe" over any other ladder in your plant. I would seriously recommend that you do not use alloy anything if there is the remotest possibility of coming into contact with live electrical wires - frying tonight! Hilary
Admin  
#12 Posted : 25 May 2004 23:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel A late response but I hope a valid one - You say you are inspecting canopies for asbestos content. may I point out that the regs only require access to the places which are REASONABLY accessible. Do you really need to do this work????? The legislators of course overlooked that fact that asbestos surveys will not always reveal the presence of asbestos because when it is hidden you won't know where to look for it..... You might well ask why we are all doing asbestos surveys just to record the roof (and possibly soffits) are of asbestos cement.....
Admin  
#13 Posted : 26 May 2004 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Kevin If you are general in your statements then you must expect varying responses. But I would re-iterate why ladders. If you are only visually inspecting then this can be done satisfactorily from the ground with binoculars. If you wish to sample the soffitts then I defy this to be done single handed. Respondents are free to "open up" any thread they wish and others may, or may not, follow the new line; that is a free choice we all make. Bob
Admin  
#14 Posted : 26 May 2004 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoffrey Just give in Kevin, it's easier!!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 26 May 2004 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West I made a request not so much a statement. Robert's point that people have the right to open up the discussion is valid. However, I am not sure whether I was starting a discussion as such, I was simply requesting supplier details of insulated ladders. Robert, rest assured that risk assessments have been completed all possible avenues have been explored and the reasonably practicable argument has been applied as well as much formal discussion with our Client of the most practicle and safe way of proceeding. Following such a process it has been agreed by both parties that an insulated/fibre glass ladder is the way to go. Many thanks for your concern and your advice even though it was neither required nor requested this time. Perhaps you may wish to consider starting a new thread on the forum if you feel so adamant on discussing this subject, perhap entitled: "Inspecting (and if necessary) sampling for the presence of ACMs using scaffolding in preference to a step-ladder." 8o)