Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2004 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Walker
I have been approached by one of our development technologists regarding the potential for use of ozone within the factory. My knowledge of the hazards and risks associated with this are limited and any guidance / pointers people could give me would be gratefully received. We are a 24 / 7 facility operating at approx 5oC / 85%RH with airborne chloramines present at all times (less than 0.2ppm). We also use N2 / O2 and CO2 gases in the proposed area. What should I be specifically looking out for / advising the questioner to speak with the suppliers about?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2004 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Ozone is not stable, so you don't buy it as such. I imagine your colleagues are proposing to buy a machine to make it. As a chemical it is hazardous to health and inhalation should be prevented - it does have an occupational exposure limit.

It is a strong oxidising agent and can react violently with organic compounds if it is present in a high enough concentration. At high temperatures it can also decompose violently.

Even in quite modest concentrations it may attack things made from rubber that you have in the vicinity, so that they perish prematurely.

It decomposes to oxygen very readily. You don't say what your colleagues are wanting to use it for, sterilisation? deodorising?

Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2004 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Walker
They are indeed planning on an "Ozone Generator" and wish to use it as a bactericide and shelf-life extender.