Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2004 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
Hi All

I am about to go for a second interview with a company making products from wood and painting them with a 2-pack primer. I am not very familiar with this product and I am surprised to hear of its use in this applicaton - I had always considered it "car paint".

Given their volumes and workpiece sizes it is not likely to be the 'one guy in a spraybooth' type of situation I have encountered before and so I would welcome any advices or pointers from the forum as to the issues involved in its use.

RPE for this type of product would normally be an air fed respirator or similar, can a non-powered disposable mask provide sufficient protection?

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics (for now anyway)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2004 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Alec,

Have seen a large scale paint line in operation. The parts are driven into the department on a pallet on a FLT. The parts are masked and then hung onto hangers on the paint line using an S type hook. They get moved along on a conveyor (think pull cords, e-stops within reach). There have been nasty accidents (amputuations) with this type of conveyor, I know of one woman who lost parts of 2 of her fingers.

The painters stand in individual booths and paint the parts as they come around. The speed of the line can be varied depending on what is being painted (large panels, small parts). Overspray is caught by a wall of water which is recirculated.

When they are painted, the part and S type hook are lifted off and hung on trolleys to go in the ovens.

So, as well as the effects of the paint itself, think of the rest of the hazards - FLT, conveyors, paced work, hot parts, solvent emissions to atmosphere, etc. and things like testing and maintenance of LEV.

Also, before the parts are painted they will be cleaned and degreased, but I can't remember the name of the chemical used.

Sorry I am a bit fuzzy on the details, but it was a long time ago.

Maybe there is someone who could let you go and have a peek at a paint line?

Good luck,

Karen

Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2004 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Sorry, should clarify, the paintline referred to in my previous posting was for metal parts.

Have also seen a spray booth for wooden parts, but it was a 1 man in a booth type job.

The paint supplier for the paintline was Trimite. Have a look at their website:

http://www.trimite.com/

There is a section on their website about wood finishes.

Karen
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2004 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham
EH16 recommends precautions for isocyanate; for spraying processes it recommends a "full-face mask attached to either a compressed airline breathing apparatus, or self-contained breathing apparatus". For non-spraying activities it suggests full-face masks with AXP3 filters (although our RPE supplier told us they did not recommend any filter for use with isocyanates).

Kate
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2004 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Alec

Negative pressure RPE should not be used with respiratory sensitisers, such as isocyanates.

Paul
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2004 15:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
Thanks for that guys. Karen, in this factory everything is manually handled. Archaic eh? Anyway, the lack of material handling equipment made me wonder what other areas will be a bit behind the times.

I expect there will be environmental discharge limits to worry about too.

I had heard that the use of isocyanates was to be phased out Europe wide. Am I mistaken, or can anyone shed some light on likely timescales for this.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 May 2004 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin Hughes
Alec.

Have you tried this web link?
www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/information.htm

I picked up a free leaflet in the Safety Expo INDG388. There is a lot more information available on this type of coating material, mostly under the heading of Motor Vehicle Repairs (MVR).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kelvin