Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2004 20:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By philip robinson
is it bad practice to use this piece of equipment as a deep fat fryer? i only ask this as a freind of mine has been very badly burnt.the company she works for has a policy that it should not be used for this but i would like to know if it is or not bad practice.b
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2004 21:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Costelloe
I rest my case - see Careers Forum
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2004 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer.
Hi Philip,

Brat Pans should not be used for deep fat frying. A look on the net should provide you with all the relevant information or alternatively contact your local environmental health office who should be able to provide leaflets. So in the light of this it would be a credible statement to say that it would be bad practice to use brat pans for deep fat frying

However what I find incredible is that good sound Health and safety advice is being omitted at the expense of petty arguments over spelling and good grammar. I would like to apologise on behalf of some my fellow professionals, who may not realise, not all people who ask for advice on this forum will be H&S practitioners.

Thanks
Keith
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2004 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Well said Keith.

We want to encourage people to use this forum, not deter them by petty complaints from people who should know better.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 May 2004 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Costelloe
ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2004 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
OK - never mind the issue of spelling - the issue here is a serious one that warrants a serious response. Bratt pans are intended for multi use and as such can be used for a range of cooking methods, including frying both "shallow" and "deep". The manufacturers recommendations regarding capacity, fill levels for the different cooking methods should always be adhered to, but it is certainly possible (and safe) to cook items, normally cooked in a deep fat fryer, in a shallower quantity of frying medium in the bratt pan. Because of the larger surface area, a greater proportion of items can be cooked at once. As with all fat frying the basic rules should be followed eg not overloaded, not wet, never left unattended, regular changing of frying medium etc. However, I do repeat, manufacturers guidance MUST always be followed. Hope that is helpful. Regards