Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2004 16:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Al Beevers I work with mobile engineers who spend a large amount of time working outdoors and on roofs. In summer many of them get sunburnt, and they have requested that the company provide sunhats and sun cream as PPE. I am trying to do a risk assessment for working outdoors in the sun. Has anyone done some thing similar? Any help on when sunlight becomes a 'hazard' would be appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2004 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Al I used to work offshore on a ship and when we went to sunny climates ie outside the North Sea then we would issue 30 factor sunblock along with all the other factors involved with working in extremes of heat. Never had an issue with sunhats because the designated work area required the wearing of a hardhat - not popular at 30°C. Having said that you might want to contact the Met (weather forecast people - cant spell the other word for them) because it is sun intensity not the heat generated that is important. Apparently you can get sunburned without realising that the sunlight would be strong enough to do so due to the fact you do not feel hot. Mind you if you do issue sun hats I would choose a colour that would encourage personnel not to loose them. hope it helps Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2004 20:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Try a search of the archive using various keywords - I'm pretty sure this has come up before Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2004 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Campbell Hi Al, HSE leaflet 'keep your top on' might help http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg337.pdf hope it helps.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2004 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brett Day Also, if you change the number in the above link to 147 you will get the employee's leaflet, that you can print and hand out or use as the basis of a tool box talk. I worked on a gas pipeline a couple of years ago in Kent in the height of summer. Our client issued sunblock to thier staff. Worked a treat !!