Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2004 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stephanie I wonder if you could help me. My childrens' nursery refuses to apply suncream to them, as it takes too long doing every child in their care. They suggest that I apply it in the morning before they arrive, and they think that that is adequate protection for 8 hours! Am I right in thinking that as they are in charge of the health and safety of my children whilst they're in their care, they should be taking adequate steps to protect them from the sun i.e. applying the suncream as needed? Any advice/links/suggestions gratefully accepted. Steph
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2004 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Steph Maybe the nursery is worried about potential litigation from parents if they take on the responsibility of putting suncream on the children? e.g. not putting it on often enough, using the wrong protection factor, not covering all exposed parts etc etc. I would have thought that morally, they should be helping to protect the kids and that a short note to parents to the effect e.g. "We will apply suncream SF60 to arms and face after lunch. Please sign your agreement / otherwise to this. Please make sure your child has a sunhat" would suffice. It's not as if they are applying suncream as a parent would for a day at the beach - they are probably not outside for any great length of time and the children are clothed. Maybe the nursery could just issue a note to parents telling them that they will apply suncream at the request of the parents but the parents must supply it. Or get the nursery to plant some trees... or invest in a couple of gazebos etc etc Regards, Eric
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2004 09:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Stephanie, I know that at a nursery a friend has her child at, she was asked to supply a sun hat and sun cream. Putting sun cream on a child takes all of 2 minutes. If they haven't time to put sun cream on, have they enough resources for other things, i.e. is the adult:child ratio adequate? Some sun creams do last all day - when my husband was a road worker he put his on in the morning before he went to work (so no-one would see him putting it on)! I know what you are getting at, there is a duty of care owed to your child, and it would surely be negligent for them to knowingly allow your child to become sunburnt, or exposed every day to the UV rays because they "didn't have time" to put sun cream on. Karen
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2004 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter John Campbell Quill Dear Stephanie You may find this link useful http://www.cancerresearc...eschoolsandnurseries.pdf It sounds as if your nursery has an unfortunate attitude and hopefully education will improve this. I was surprised by your child's nursery position, and it is certainly not I have experienced elsewhere. Best regards Peter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2004 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Steph I am very surprised about this. We have used several nurseries and they have all applied suncream, whether we or they supplied it. You could always try asking for a risk assessment of their activities and in particular 'outside play'. Sunburn if a definite hazard and the issue of suncream, hats and time outside should be addressed. If all else fails, you could talk to the inspecting regime - social services? and ask them the question as to guidance and inspection results.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2004 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Stephanie, The phrase "Duty of Care" springs to mind, you might want to inform them of this, as they are caring for children whilst the parents are elsewhere (And being paid for the priviledge) Duties of care Evolving in the civil courts, the employer's duty of care to each of his employees can conveniently be considered under five headings. These require that an employer must provide: (1) Safe systems of work. (2) A safe place of work. (3) Plant and machinery that is safe to use. (4) Competent supervision and/or suitable training. (5) Care in the selection of fellow employees. These common law duties are now incorporated into statutory law under s. 2(2) of HSW which has extended the employer's obligations to the provision of training, instruction and information in sufficient detail to enable the employee to understand the hazards faced and be familiar with the techniques for avoiding them. These obligations have been further extended by the requirements of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992 (MHSWR) under which employers must carry out assessments of all operations and processes that present a potential risk to the health and safety of employees. Additionally, they must include working procedures and proper organisation to meet health and safety responsibilities and ensure that they have available to them adequate and competent assistance on health and safety matters. This extends to visitors, contractors, people in their care (This includes children) and anyone who is on their premises. I hope this is of some help, I had a similar problem with "Duty of care" at my young son's Junior School a few years ago. Where they let him walk out of school alone (He was 6) it was only by chance I was early. He was taking after school French lessons (At a cost)The French teacher "Rented" one of the classrooms, so The Head Mistress said it was nothing to do with her, I proved other wise (Duty of Care) and she was disciplined. All the best. Aye Rod D
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2004 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Why not try suggesting that the nursery staff squirt the cream on and then supervise the children applying the cream to themselves? Obviously this won't work with the really little ones but I would have thought that most three year olds could cope with rubbing it in. You could also suggest that they speak to their local LEA to see if the Healthy Schools programme in the area can help (we are currently seeking ways to affiliate pre-schools to our scheme) and see if they would be willing to introduce a suitable hat or t-shirt for parents to buy for their children. This is usually a nice little earner, especially if you get them embroidered with the nursery logo. Good luck.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2004 22:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Broomfield Steph I can fully understand the staff refusal to apply the suncream direct to the children themselves, we were in a simular position at our nursery last year and were adviced by the National Care Standards to apply sun protection via a aerosol pump product but only with written consent from the parents.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2004 06:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Since I have a skin sensitivity problem to titanium dioxide, I don't use sunblock. It took a while to find out what caused the problem though. The other ingredient in sunblock is likely to be para-amino-benzoic-acid. The MSDS for titanium dioxode says: minimum physical contact. Description: Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) is a B Complex vitamin that is synthesized in the body. PABA is used in the formation of Folic Acid and the metabolism of protein. It is an antioxidant that helps to protect skin from sunburn and cancer. PABA supplementation may help return gray hair to its original color if the change was caused by either stress or a nutritional deficiency. PABA deficiency is often caused by sulfa drugs. PABA supplementation appears to increase the ability of some infertile women to become pregnant.1 Natural Sources: Kidney, Liver, Molasses, Whole Grains. Useful in treatment of: Female Infertility. Recommended Dosage: Not established. Contraindications: None. And as was pointed out to my wife: The risk from skin cancer, caused by sunlight, is small when compared to the risk from over-heating caused by heat from the sun. In children THAT risk is HIGH. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/...medical_notes/381008.stm Coating the skin with anything will decrease the ability of the body to "lose" the heat.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2004 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Moran There is one other issue to consider in this area...sunlight is needed for the production of Vitamin D by the body and whilst some protection is clearly required parents should be careful not to go over the top with applications of sun-blocks. There have been documented cases of children developing rickets due to having been plastered head to toe in high factor sun creams over long periods.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2004 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts Steph, Have you considered a compromise with the nursery. Say you will apply the cream in the morning but if the children are to play outside for extended periods you expect them to reapply more. The upshot is that if you can not come up with a solution who will loose out if the cream is not applied, not them and not you and the children will be kept in. Wagging fingers with the concept of duty of care seems over the top when a real solution is at hand. Lew
Admin  
#12 Posted : 19 May 2004 10:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephanie Just to say thanks for all your responses. The nursery now agree to reapply suncream before the children go out to play. They had originally only refused to apply it because they didn't have time - although there are only about 25 children in the whole nursery, and at least 6 members of staff. Anyway, matter resolved, thanks again.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 19 May 2004 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Pete, I was aware of vitamin D issues in relation to clothing (eg traditional clothing from eastern cultures giving rise to the possibility of vitamin D deficiencies in a UK climate) but not about sunblock. Are you able to point me at the documents you cited?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 19 May 2004 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Admin  
#15 Posted : 19 May 2004 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Moran Just following on from this subject a little...has anyone considered the risks from the sun to operatives in a construction industry scenario and issued sunscreen as a form of 'PPE'?
Admin  
#16 Posted : 19 May 2004 18:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Yes, they have consdiered this. On here not long ago. However, consider this: Wearing only shorts and shirt (or no shirt) increases the likelihood of other injuries (grazes, cuts and bruises). So, quite a few sites insist on minimum clothing. FULL sleeve shirt and FULL leg protection. Site workers SHOULD be wearing a HARDHAT anyway, AND a Hi-Vis jacket of sorts. Many wear a "hanky" type of neck protection anyway. However, driving past a few on the way home I noted that many workers were not wearing hardhats , Hi-Vis or shirts. That's life, you try to lessen the accidents and you get squat help from the guys who are going to get hurt. But that's building site workers all-over.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 19 May 2004 19:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA We certainly send our children to nursery with sunblock on called 'P20'. This can be applied in the morning ,takes a minute to dry and leaves the child totally protected for the day. I am sure the nursery in question has the best possible motive for their decision.. But if there is a product on the market that negates putting the onus on 'someone else'... then we would sooner put it on. Its called P20 and is quite expensive, (but then so are the bloody kids!!!) OHHHHHHH my god... I haven't spell checked!!! I'll standby for more s##t...
Admin  
#18 Posted : 20 May 2004 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt PaulA Your child receives £66.00 per month (family allowance) which he/she then passes on to you to look after him/her. You are effectively then an employee, being paid to look after your child. I therefore think it is inappropriate to complain about the cost of carrying out this duty when your employer (your child) is giving you free reign with the money, allows you to carry out this task without requiring receipits for your expenditure, and carries out no auditing of either the quality of care they are receiving or where the money is actually spent. No other employer would treat you in this way and give you so much freedom, so I suggest you consider yourself lucky to be working for such a good employer. I take it you have kept the receipts for the "expensive suncream" just in case your employer decides to call in the auditors. Regards Eric
Admin  
#19 Posted : 20 May 2004 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA Dear Eric Just about every thread you either take part in or start (ref trivial...blah blah..) has either a tongue in cheek statement or a 'GEEKY' connotation that would inevitably lead to infrequent surfers of the site thinking that we have no life whatsoever!!!!! Have you no job other than to bemuse yourself by surfing this site and drafting nonsense??? Regards Paula
Admin  
#20 Posted : 21 May 2004 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard If you don't like the way other people look after your kids, you could always try looking after them yourself, or is that too radical an approach? Richard
Admin  
#21 Posted : 21 May 2004 23:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephanie Richard, Many thanks for your considered response. I must admit I hadn't thought of that. I shall quit work, forgo the luxury of paying bills, and sit at home watching Trisha. Obviously giving useful advice to a fellow health and safety professional is beyond you. I suggest you take your club and get back in your cave.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 22 May 2004 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Oh well, this seems to have descended into the usual slanging match. Too many people seem to think "sunblock" when the better remedy would be NOT to go into the sun, or to wear clothing appropriate to the conditions. Funnily enough, if the nursery uses sunblock it ought to be in receipt of an MSDS for the cream ? A LOT of people are becoming worried about the "splash it on all over" approach to children and UV (A)(B). As I said, heating is a much more worrying effect of the sun where kids are concerned. You don't have to like what I'm saying.
Admin  
#23 Posted : 22 May 2004 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd http://www.raisingkids.co.uk/ask/guest_0403_04.asp Most people associate heat stroke and heat exhaustion with far-flung locations but they can still be a risk in Europe and the UK. Babies and children under 4 are especially vulnerable, as they are unable to regulate their body temperature as efficiently as older children and adults. The best ways to prevent heat stroke and heat exhaustion are to keep cool, and to keep well-hydrated. Part of the fun of a summer holiday is being able to play in the sunshine, but parents should make sure that there is a shady place to chill out too. Some families use beach parasols or children's tents, although simply choosing to sit in the shadow of tree or rock is fine. Encourage your children to take time out to cool down occasionally, and don't fall into the trap of thinking you're not getting your 'money's worth' out of your holiday unless your children spend every moment in the sun - boisterous games in the midday heat are not ideal! A tepid bath or shower can help bring the temperature down, but swimming in the sea or pool with an uncovered head can be counterproductive. If things get too hot and sticky, remember you can always withdraw to an air-conditioned restaurant or cafe for a few hours, or opt for a siesta. Using a high factor sunscreen to protect your children's skin is vital, but while creams will protect against UV rays, they will not stop a child getting uncomfortably hot. Loose, light clothing and a wide-brimmed sunhat help prevent overheating as well as giving extra protection to the skin. Wherever you go, take lots of water for your children to drink but don't offer them sugary or fizzy drinks. Encourage your kids to drink, rather than waiting until they feel thirsty - in very hot weather, their thirst won't keep up with their need for fluids
Admin  
#24 Posted : 22 May 2004 23:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton What planet is Eric on - £66.00 per month - whoopee we'll all go mad on that - that should cover absolutely all the child's needs and requirements (in actual fact it is £69.55 pcm for the first child and £45.72pcm for subsequent children), including the expensive suncream that you don't need a receipt for. And as for Richard - did you give up work for your kids or would you consider doing so? Alternatively, is this merely a sexist question - if you would not be prepared to do it then don't expect the women to do so. I think most people would prefer to stay at home with their children but it is just not possible in this day and age because we women have become exceptionally fond of the luxuries of life ...... like eating! As for the suncream question - I know when my daughter went to nursery and she only went in the mornings, the nursery was happy to put suncream on because I asked and my daughter is a very pale redhead which means that she doesn't only burn she blisters horrendously. This was 10 years ago. The nursery do have a duty of care as you have placed them 'in loco parentis'. However, as I have read your thread and noticed that they have now agreed to put the cream on I guess this particular issue is resolved to your satisfactionn. As a matter of note, Eric, nursery at that time used to cost me £130 per month and the child benefit was less - how do you suppose I manage to pay £130 out of £66.00? Unless my maths is incorrect the amount outgoing is almost twice as much as the amount incoming - perhaps you are an accountant and can make these sums balance - it is quite beyond my poor feeble female brain!
Admin  
#25 Posted : 23 May 2004 22:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Hilary Thanks for your more reasoned response to my input. I've been accused of many things, but never of sexism – I firmly believe that a woman's place is wherever she wants to be, and whether that be executive suite or three piece suite, controlling or cooking, is entirely her choice and hers alone. I was simply suggesting that there are alternatives, e.g. a job nearer the nursery with flexi time to put suncream on yourself, or conversely a nursery nearer the job, for the same reason. Employers do have be more flexible in this day and age, Tesco notwithstanding. Luckily I never had to face the choice between work or children, and I'm not sure what it would have been if I'd had to. Whatever choice I made, it would have been the choice for my particular circumstances, not anybody else's. I am sorry if I gave offence to those, both male and female, struggling with two full time jobs, family and career – such was not my intent Richard
Admin  
#26 Posted : 24 May 2004 06:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Richard I apologise for going off on one, your message was worded in such a way as though a choice was to be had. In some cases this is just not so. Most women already suffer great pangs of guilt for having to work and farming out their children - I know that I did. I now work hours to suit the kids but still feel guilty about not being there during the summer holidays even though they are now 11 and 9. It is a difficult choice to make - do you carry on working to provide a better standard of home life, holidays, school trips, days out, etc, or do you give up work to ensure that the kids always have a parent at home and forego the other pleasures that money brings? Basically, with today's financial situation as it is - damned if you do and damned if you don't!
Admin  
#27 Posted : 24 May 2004 07:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Wallington Im wondering what country you are talking about? Surely there are guidelines for child care agencies? these should stipulate what their duty of care is? parents should be fully informed of this prior to agreeing to place tots in their care. Here in Western Australia, they are very strict about this, at the schools in summer. No hat, no play. Not sure about sunscreen I will ask this evening. New to this site, so hi to you all from Australia. Dave Wallington OSH/ Fire Safety Officer
Admin  
#28 Posted : 25 May 2004 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber I have a friend in New Zealand and when his children were at nursey they were not allowed to play outside if they were not fully protected with hat, long sleeves and trousers. This is obviously a very precautionary approach but how can we ever be sure that sun cream is effective, it is so easy to miss a part of the body, as those of us with children will have noticed with horror after a day on the beach. We would not accept such poor standards of protection in the workplace. Let's face it Sun Cream is really for those who want to risk getting a tan while attempting to prevent burning. The best protection, and in my opinion the only one suitable for children is to avoid exposure. Remember that a sun tan is an indication of damaged skin, let's leave the habit of sunbathing(and all it's associated habits, eg stripping off as much clothing as possible as soon as the sun comes out) in the 60's where it belongs. Having said all that I suspect the reason for this nurseries decision has little to do with the risk of sunburn and more to do with the risk of being accused of inappropriate touching. What a sad world we live in!
Admin  
#29 Posted : 25 May 2004 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd It's all gone a bit mad. My Mum is a classroom assistant in a primary school. If there is a sick child, that the parent cannot come and collect, an adult cannot be on their own with that child taking them home(for obvious reasons). So, if there is not another adult available to accompany the other adult + sick child, you would think that the answer would be to bring along another child. WRONG. Two more children would have to be brought along, so that on the return journey to the school, there was not an adult alone with 1 child. So, 1 adult + sick child + 2 accompanying children. Another incident. Little brat decided to sit down with his back to the classroom door, knowing the teachers could not lift him or move him. Result: no-one could go out of the classroom and the class missed assembly. This went on for about half an hour and was solved when one of the teachers in the classroom texted another teacher in another room, warned her that there was a child against the back of the door, the other teacher came down and opened the door slowly but forcefully saying, "Oh, what are you doing there behind the door?" - pretending she didn't know he was there, but opening the door with care to get in past him. I can remember when I was at school teachers comforting crying children, sitting them on their lap, helping them get changed when they peed themselves, etc. They can't do any of this now for fear of accusations. Nightmare. Karen
Admin  
#30 Posted : 25 May 2004 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood I like the idea of assessment but parents should also bear a lot of responsibility here, when they should be part of the agreement as to children being taken out in the sun in the first place - what about hyper sensitivity to sunlight, hypoallergenic reactions to creams, spot burning on exposed noses, arms etc. Parents know their kids best and should be able to provide advice in writing (or on a form) to nurseries as how best to deal with the agreed exposure. After seeing a recent TV programme on sun protection factors, I am now more sceptical than ever as to the effeciveness of any sun cream as UVA still gets though and its effect as a cancer trigger is still not fully researched. As for construction workers etc., I believe they should be given fact sheets by employers and made to wear suitable PPE (like in Aus they have broader brimmed safety helmets with neck cloths attached to shield themselves better). Simple things are often more effective as people tend to follow and use them.