Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2004 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By N I would be grateful if anyone can provide me with information that may assit me in solving the following problem. The movement of ISO containers requires the use of a crane. To fit the hooks to the eyes requires an operative to work from the roof the ISO container. I have spoken to the contractor asking what method of protection is commonly used in the industry to protect from a fall (over 2 metres etc) but they have informed me that it is an accepted procedure to work without protection. Obviously this is totally unsatisfactory therefore I would like to know if anyone knows of any method of protection for workers who are required to work on the roofs of ISO containers.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2004 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Appleton There's no need for someone to be on top of the container - it's just come about because it's the easy option, but with a bit of effort the lifting chains can be attached to each corner by a person on a portable ladder. (Some kind of device to retrieve chains dangling over the centre of the container may be necessary) MEWP's could also be used. I have seen men on top of containers wearing a safety harness (attached to jib of crane) but I wouldn't consider this a good idea. Don't forget, until the new work at height regs come in, the 2m rule applies to work platforms, scaffolds, trestles, MEWP's etc), though the general duties of the HSWA such as prevent injury & safe place of work would apply to your containers
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2004 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Fred Myerscough Re-falls from height (containers) It is acceptable practice to secure an inertia reel to a secure strap attached to the crane hook, the other end is attached to the banksmans safety harness. The crane hook is always positioned above the banksman ensuring a secure fixing point