Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2004 17:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles Robinson Tech SP Anyone read the Sunday Herald 16 May re- the catalogue of health and safety hazards. any comments? http://www.sundayherald.com/42035 http://www.sundayherald.com/42093
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2004 18:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Charles, Interesting reading but the press are all about sensationalism. Let's wait until the official investigation report is produced before we all start condemning people and passing judgements. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2004 19:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Oh, we all know that backs are already being covered, don't we. I emailed my MP immediately I read the article, and my union is already pressurising various MPs' to ensure that the usual HSE cover-up doesn't get off the ground. But lets face it, even if the conditions were as stated, they're not unusual are they. Many small companies operate in that fashion, and the HSE does release "whistleblowers" names to employers, I've been a victim of that approach before.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2004 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch I read the article in hard copy on Sunday! Don't know how many dust explosions the expert has investigated but think speculation as to cause highly dubious without some forensic evidence as to properties of eg materials in containers next to oven, quite likely in granular form and not going to go bang in a month of Sundays. Did fail last year to get a nice consultancy fee by advising potential client to get their dust tested for explosibility rather than just comply with their insurers (another ex HSE inspector) demand for expert input into dust explosion risk assessment. Came back as not being Class A dust, thence no work for us. One of my team this week investigating explosion (no injuries) but serious damage in factory in the South West, another involved in expert witness commission following fire in oven causing £2.5m damage. We are not speculating on this week's incident in the South West but rather looking to see what the evidence throws up. Think similar approach is appropriate in Glasgow and that for H&S advisers to speculate in the press is at best misguided! I do know roughly how long it is since the expert worked for HSE. Of course times change within any organisation in over 20 years, and whilst I have sympathy with some of the criticisms made of HSE, I think the jury is out on others. Peter