Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2004 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By BarryS everyday products - e.g. washing up liquid, windowcleaner etc - do people feel you need to do an assessment on these if they are in the workplace and store securely etc etc?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2004 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi Barry, I know that the huge box of Bold I buy from the cash & carry to use in the house says, "MSDS available for professional user on request". Also, people who do a lot of washing up and have their hands in soap suds all day can get dermatitis. Most workplaces have a "cleaner's store" where all this kind of stuff is kept and segregated/bunded as necessary (depending on how much stuff you've got, how nasty it is, etc.) but maybe a small cupboard would be all that is required? It is important that people are given information, instruction, training, supervision etc. regardless of whether or not the substance is one that would also be used in their own home. For example, Mr Muscle oven cleaner is thought of as a 'household' product, but I remember seeing something on TV about how dangerous it could be if you didn't take proper precautions. I think it showed someone's skin that had been burned where their short gloves ended and it said that elbow length ones would be needed. Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2004 16:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Knowles Hi Barry If I remember rightly,under COSHH 2002 you now only need to do a COSHH Assessment if the substance has the Orange CHIP badge on it or appears in the EH40. Mr. Muscle carries the Orange Chip badge so as such you would need to do an assessment on it. regards Pete
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2004 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Look at the Section of COSHH dealing with interpretation, that explains all. Eg it includes: 'substance hazardous to health" means a substance (including a preparation) - (a) which is listed in Part I of the approved supply list as dangerous for supply within the meaning of the CHIP Regulations and for which an indication of danger specified for the substance is very toxic, toxic, harmful, corrosive or irritant;' So, in practical terms, does the household chemical to which you refer have a hazard warning label indicating one of the above. For completeness you also need ensure it's not covered by one of the other definitions eg the one relating to dust in a substatial quantity (which would only apply if a person was exposed to it as a dust).
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2004 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Pete posted whilst I was drafting my response but to the same effect.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2004 17:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Don't forget the catchall. 'Substance hazardous to health' means a substance (including a preparation)...which, not being a substance falling within sub-paragraphs (a) to (d), because of its chemical and toxicological properties and the way it is used or is present in the workplace creates a risk to health. Many household cleaning products can cause problems if used incorrectly, for extended periods, or without wearing gloves. What you do with these products in your own home is your own affair but, in the workplace, their use should be subject to risk assessment. Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2004 18:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy Barry. There is clear and concise guidance on COSHH for you at http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg136.pdf If, If you need a COSHH assesment and you are not trained in doing them, visit the COSHH essentials web site where, with the relevant product data sheet and a knowledge of the process in which it is used, you can obtain the required COSHH assessment. If you do this, please feed back how helpful or useful you found the COSHH website. (http://www.coshh-essentials.org.uk) Regards John
Admin  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2004 20:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I came into H&S just after the COSHH regs were introduced and like PAT (Electricity Regs) and similar legislation there was a complete overreaction to them. My then boss banned such things as thinners for correcting ink (in those tiny little bottles) and other safety 'advisors' assessed such things as table salt and mustard in works canteens. Others talk about assessing CO2 and foam in fire extinguishers - imagine the instruction 'Before discharging extinguisher read COSHH assessment'. Many organisations have numbers of substances in the thousands. A client (a furniture manufacturer) has eight times more substances on site than employees. I would say the most effective approach is as already suggested but to look at those substances with the greatest risk first and deal with those. You may find by then that you never get round to the low risk substances so the question won't arise! PS: My response to the ban on ink thinners - you can always tell who is abusing it. They are the ones with white rings on their nostrils. Yeah, yeah, pretty poor. Please guys, that was a joke - OK?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2004 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston It's not the substance it's the way you use it that counts !! You assessment ends if exposure is such that the potential for causing harm is remote. Consider an engineer using small volumes(2ml) of a solvent to degrease components, say once per year ... exposure potential very small. Now consider the same engineer using the same subtance in large degreasing tanks. Don't exclude substances simply because they are not in CHIP or EH40, look at how they are used and consider the potential to cause harm. And if substance does appear in CHIP or EH40, this does not mean you have to have a documented COSHH assessment. Consider volumes, and how it is used and the potential for causing harm. If potential is remote, then don't create another document which someone has to read and maintain. If you give someone on the shopfloor 300 assessments to read, do you really think they will take it all in ? Communicating safety is very very important, if you create volumes of assessments, you are simply covering your back rather than trying to reduce accidents. Shane