Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2004 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier Good morning one and all We have carried out a risk assessment on our site traffic and identified that we should reduce our speeed limit from 10mph to 5mph. I have been asked to justfy this over and above what we have done within the risk assessment. So as a straw poll I would like to know what speed limits you have in your workplaces and also your opinions on whether the reduction we propose would have a significant impact should a pedestrian make contact with a vehicle. Thank you for assistance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2004 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By alex mccreadie The only help I can give is that most Construction Sites I visit have 3-5mph limits. "close to walking pace" This is due to noise and frequent vehicle movement obviously saying the slower the better. I do not know any regs that give actual speeds only "sensible speed". As far as what difference 5mph would make if hitting someone I would suggest significant. Again it sounds like the broad shoulders of a safety individual,who must stick by their findings on the Risk Assessment. "Good Luck"
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2004 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott We have a 5mph speed limit - but frankly it is unenforceable! We are a large combined office and services site, frequent access is made 24 hours a day all vehicle types but predominantly private cars and minibus types.(Vehicle movements in excess of 700 per day) The problem - most modern vehicles CANNOT travel at 5 mph!! it does not even apear on most vehicles speedometers, they start at 10mph. I accept that risk assessing should set the parameters but you do need to take into account what is possible and enforceable.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2004 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Walker We have a split speed limit on our sites. On the access roads we state 20 mph where there are no pedestrians or other slow-moving hazards. As soon as any vehicle reaches areas of pedestrian access, forklifts, reduced visibility the limit is reduced to 10 mph. This as stated before is the slowest achievable by most modern vehicles without stalling and is also the electronic restriction made on our FLT's. We have also carried out time trials to allow us to determine the speed of vehicles we think are exceeding the limit (the time to pass between 2 fixed points is X seconds type). This allows us to enforce the policy with a degree of knowledge which the driver doesn't expect to be present.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 May 2004 08:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Danks We like others have a 10 mph limit, we have however had sleeping policeman situated at certain points around the site. While this has been affective, consideration must be given to their positioning for maximum effect and FLT activity.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2004 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Findlay I would tend to agree with Bill Elliott in that a 5mph speed restriction is very hard to enforce. Most vehicles that I have encountered won't even register 5mph on their dials. Well planned traffic routes, with designated pedestrian areas and, if reversing must take place, dedicated reversing areas are some of the more 'reasonable' means of achieving a safer site traffic system.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2004 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally Hi Simon, Couldn’t help throw in an observation that a blanket 5mph may well have a wallpaper effect is as much that if the posted limits are not realistic or practical, drivers will simply switch off brain and do what they want. We have many sites which vary from size and pedestrian density and try to post 5mph where turning or loading areas, crossing or generally high pedestrian intensity exists (most vehicles can travel at this speed even though it may rely on the frequent use of clutch)of course you will no doubt have specific controls for reversing and pedestrian separtion. Where access routes permit safe faster travel then we up the speed limits accordingly, most drivers do respond to properly planned traffic management but just like anywhere else you will find the odd idiot so it will need enforcing. Good luck with your research. Ian
Admin  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2004 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally Hi Simon, Couldn’t help throw in an observation that a blanket 5mph may well have a wallpaper effect is as much that if the posted limits are not realistic or practical, drivers will simply switch off brain and do what they want. We have many sites which vary from size and pedestrian density and try to post 5mph where turning areas, crossing or generally high pedestrian intensity exists (most vehicles can travel at this speed even though it may rely on the frequent use of clutch) Where access routes permit safe faster travel then we up the speed limits accordingly, most drivers do respond to properly planned traffic management but just like anywhere else you will find the odd idiot so it will need enforcing. Good luck with your research. Ian
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 May 2004 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Derek Rooney MIOSH MIIRSM Hi we have a traffic management at all our locations with a speed limit of 10mph. It would be near impossible to enforce a limit of less than this.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 28 May 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Try a speed limit of , say , 11.5 mph. As other respondants have suggested 10 mph is probably the lowest a modern vehicle can accomplish without stalling. However, a speed limit like the one suggested will certainly stand out to the drivers on site and, more importantly, will stick in their minds. I seem to recall this is called the Von Rostoff effect in psychology (but I may be mistaken). Enforcing the speed limit would be the same as for a 10 mph limit.(ie the limit is really 10mph). An added bonus may be that a speed limit of 11.5mph may well make some driver think that the speed 'checking' methodology is far superior than other sites and so they will ensure they are compliant. Kev
Admin  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2004 23:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Some clown will try to claim that '11.5' looked like '115' - particularly when someone will inevitable blank out the '.'. You could try an old-fashioned '11 1/2' though. We, generally, have a 5mph speed limit on the roads in our schools, sports grounds and care establishments. Human nature is such that, if you set the limit at 5mph, most drivers will go at about 10mph whereas, if the limit is set at 10mph, they will do something like 15-20mph. It's not usually a matter of precise enforcement (ie by speed measurement) but rather one of telling people to drive as slowly as reasonably possible and readily identifying those who do not - because its a lot faster than understood brisk walking pace. Your actual observed speed reduction is likely to be more than 5mph if you implement this measure - which, in road safety terms, should be significant for any associated personal injury vehicle incident (according to DoT research and RoSPA guidance).