Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2004 13:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie I am aware that we must supply adequate welfare facilities for employees at work but what about school children. My daughter has to eat her packed lunch sat on a chair with the lunch on her knee as no tables are provided.To top this off, she is also outside under a shelter. Surely there must be some guidance for schools as to what is adequate. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks. Jim
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2004 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phillipe I think your question goes further than the question of Health & Safety. It is a poor reflection on the standard of the education system in this country. Lack of money, under investment etc etc. However, your comment about the fact our workplaces must have adequate facilities is a true interpretation of the legislation but in practice, how many do actually comply? I have been in many workplaces and the facilities are poor to the point of disgaceful.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2004 18:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Duty holders under the Health Safety and Welfare Regs are required to provide welfare facilities only for people at work. Ie not pupils. Welfare provisions for schoolchildren are dealt with by the Education (School Premises) Regulations (but not very helpfully in relation to meal accommodation except in boarding schools) supported by DfES guidance.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2004 20:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Jack is right. Apart from the standard "duty of care" students, of whatever age, receive a pretty poor health and safety package. I remeber being amazed to discover that education establishments do not even have to provide drinking water! Your best recourse is outside health and safety legislation Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2004 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Your best approach seems to be to complain to the Headteacher, Chair of Governors, Education Authority or Proprietor, etc. Whilst the DfES have published guideline for layouts of furniture in school dining halls, etc, school inspectors take dining provision into account in their inspections and mealtimes are to be regarded as beneficial occasions for social interaction as well as eating, there still seems to be no strict requirement for minimum mealtime accommodation provision. 'Education, education, education' still seems some way off in this respect.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 May 2004 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee OFSTED ?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 May 2004 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie Thanks for your replies. (and political messages) It would appear that Health & Safety in UK doesn't start until you are old enough to work or go on a school trip!!!!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 25 May 2004 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor To be fair, I ought to say that the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act 1974 and Regulations made thereunder do apply in schools as workplaces for employees and that employers have a duty to pupils and others who may be affected by their work activities to ensure that they are safe and without risk (so far as reasonably practicable). However, despite guidance, standards, inspections, Ofsted reports, etc there is no law that says what provision non-boarders should have for meals or many other school activities. A number of school buildings are rather old or small and, presumably, would not be able to meet minimum standards if imposed by law - whilst others are in a poor state of repair and without access to sufficient funds to undertake some repairs or improvements. I am told that there has been an improvement in the situation since I worked in the state sector some years ago - but other readers may have more up-to-date information in that respect.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 25 May 2004 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack James, 'Health and safety' applies in schools (and there are lots of LEAs, Foundation school governing bodies and even teaching staff with the scars - of prosecution- to prove it!). It's the 'welfare' provisions of HASWAWA which don't. You'll be aware that while Section 2 refers to 'health, safety and welfare', Section 3 only mentions 'health and safety'. There are of course other specific regulations which don't apply to pupils (eg DSE).
Admin  
#10 Posted : 28 May 2004 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen Jim The Dept for Education & Science (DfES) issue guidance notes to schools and I believe there is a standard set in the School Premises Regulations. In addition, an OFFSTED inspection would almost certainly make recommendations for improvement in this situation - regardless of what minimum legal standards are set. Annetta
Admin  
#11 Posted : 29 May 2004 21:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Jack has already said how little there is on this in the Education (School Premises) Regulations. Ofsted may well make recommendations in this respect but it would be most surprising if 'official action' was taken with regard to school meal facilities let alone those provided for eating packed lunches.