Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2004 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Bartlett I would be grateful if anyone has come across any methods of evacuating mobility impaired persons from multi story buildings, without the use of an evacuation lift. We currently rely on evac chairs, usually supplied by "Paraid" but have difficulty in keeping competant persons suitably trained and experienced where we have high staff turnover. There are also issues with some MI persons being either scared of using evac chairs, or unable to do so for medical reasons. I would be grateful to hear of any innovative methods, or equipment that others have found effective. Thanks Mike Bartlett
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2004 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Mike In your deliberations don't forget that in some scenarios evacuation is not the best, or most risk free, strategy. In some cases the the refuge principle is safer. Your local brigade's fire safety/ prevention officer is a valuable free local source of advice on this. I speak both as a safety professional and someone who has a mobility impaired wife Laurie
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2004 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Bartlett Laurie, Thnaks for your advice. I agree that evacuation of mobility impaired persons does in itself pose hazards, however of the 100+ sites I advise on H&S for, the fire services covering the vast majority of them have stated that they do not expect people to be left in refuge areas but rather that these are safe locations for the person to wait whilst non mobility impaired persons evacuate. The fire services have stressed that they may have to prioritise calls and in certain circumstances an office building may be a lower priority, receiving attendance from appliances outside the normal area when the local appliances are responding to a higher priority incident. As such, they will not endorse the practice of leaving persons in refuge areas, to await their arrival. They also cite the possibility of appliances being involved in RTA's en-route. We do our utmost to design personal evacuation plans for all known M.I. persons, but we still face problems using the current equipment. Kind regards Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 May 2004 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You are quite correct, Mike. Refuges are for some disabled people to await assisted evacuation arranged by management and not rescue by the fire brigade. I am less than enthusiastic about evacuation chairs in some buildings and keen on the greater provision of evacuation lifts - particularly in new-build. I have also come across fixed slides (rather like larger versions of those found in children's playgrounds) and escape chutes (like a large meal going down inside a perpendicular snake). You could also try asking your question of the FireNet Fire Safety Forum to see if they have any other suggestions. http://www.globalcrisisc...2b34040c1d3aab30453054f3
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2004 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Bartlett Ken, Very helpful - thank you for the link. Unfortunately most of the sites I deal with are old - I'm now alert to the type of lifts we would like to see in any new builds that we are lucky enough to have use of. Kind regards, Mike
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 May 2004 21:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Lambert Please beware of the "Refuge" mentality. Specifically, consider what the refuge is for i.e. temporary holding of persons until the nature of the incident is ascertained. IT IS NOT A "SAFE" AREA TO HOLD PEOPLE UNTIL THE FIRE SERVICE REMOVE THOSE PERSONS FROM THE BUILDING! It is the occupier's duty to ensure that their safety system is robust enough to evacuate all persons from the building without the intervention of the Fire Service. This means that the employer will have to consider the employees' capabilities when allowing MI persons onto their premises - unless those persons provide carers to evacuate them without placing a burden on staff. I know this runs directly contrary to the received wisdom re the DDA - but remember which legislation has the criminal penalty (it isn't the DDA). The employer's primary responsibility is currently to the employee not the visitor so some form of control may be required when physical capabilities of staff do not allow unlimited numbers of MI persons to be evacuated. This issue has exercised several local authority H&S departments: it hasn't been tested in court but I think it would be difficult to argue against in terms of safety of staff. Hope this throws a stone in the pond! Steve Lambert H-and-S