Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2004 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Dunlop
We carry out many intrusive environmental investigations on petrol filling stations.
I have recently been informed that tanks which formerly held leaded petrol and that may have leaked at some point, can contaminate the ground with Tetraethyl Lead (TEL)and Tetramethyl Lead (TML). Both are no longer added to petroleum spirit.
I am informed (rightly or wrongly) that TEL is extremely toxic and that the fatal dose is recorded as 1.7 microgrammes / kilogramme of body weight and that TML is less toxic.
We have MSDS on the product, but there is no information in relation to any fuel residues which may be impacted in the ground which in turn may effect the health of our field staff.
All of our field engineers are safety trained and aware but I am unable to find any information in relation to both TEL and TML in order that the neccessary risk and COSHH information is at hand for the engineers.
Any information would be most welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2004 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Robert

Chemical safety cards on both substances can be found at http://siri.org/msds. Search the database for 'tetraethyl lead' and 'tetramethyl lead'. They are both classed as toxic.

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2004 19:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie
You could try a company called "Associated Octel" who used to make the lead additive.
I recall having a guide they produced on the type of work you describe, but can't find it in my system.

I think they had a plant at Ellsmere Port in Cheshire