Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2004 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Hi Everyone I am doing some work developing health and safety performance indicators within the Local Government environment. If any of you have got any advice on what is effective and what is not or could point me in the direction of any useful information I would be grateful. Thanks Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2004 18:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Cameron Greg, Rather than go for the obvious accident statistics, either as are or averaged out why not try over three day occurances and costs associated with these absenses? Or even better go for costs for all accident lost days as this shows bottom line pounds shillings and pence losses as a result of accidents and should encourage action to prevent rather than accept the numbers involved. Goodluck with whichever way you go
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2004 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Greg I have a presentation on performance indicators I did for an IOSH branch meeting. It outlines a range of different measures and their respective advantages/disadvantages. I am happy to send it if it will be useful. Regards Nick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2004 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Deana Daniels Hi Greg, I have done a reasonable amount of work both in Local Authorities and on safety management systems. I would advise you not to rely solely on reactive measures but try to build in some positive measurements such as completion and review of risk assessments, completion and review of training, completion of audits and inspections including statutory inspections, completion of health and safety meetings and actioning of any minutes (These are just some examples). What I recommend that you have different appropriate measures for each directorate then broader corporate measures. If you have a SMS in place go through it and identify those areas where you can develop some SMART measures, because the point of the performance indicators is to provide you with some way of evaluating whether or not you SMS is working and effective. I hope this helps. If you want to talk more please give me a ring on 0871 871 5443. Regards Deana
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2004 18:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood We thought up a fairly good target for our 2004 Plan - 'Near-misses to all injury rate'. This give a Site (we are widely distributed) a chance if they report a lot of Near misses, to get a good ratiuo, the higher the better and it looks good! If they havre injuries as well it reduces so the dual prompt to have more NMreports and less injuries seem to be taking hold and is improving near miss reports so far!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 May 2004 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood And an even better ratio can be secured by not reporting a few of the actual accidents. I have long held the belief that focusing on the usual stats encourages non-reporting of accidents, the more prominent these stats become, the more likely pressure will be brought to bear by junior managers on the staff below them not to report. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 May 2004 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP Greg, I asked this a few weeks back- also for LA's (Birmingham in my case)- you may want to do a search on my name.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 May 2004 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Thanks to everyone who has responded so far or sent me information direct. Greg
Admin  
#9 Posted : 30 May 2004 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Greg. It is not always easy to think clearly on this subject, but the simple answer is; What is measurable and what is not. If it is measurable it could be a perfance indicator, if it is not measurable it cannot be. Regards... Stuart
Admin  
#10 Posted : 31 May 2004 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram You might also consider some of the ideas in the IOSH Guidance, available on the Technical webpage under 'Inforsheets'. In relation to contractor management, which should be a big issue for you, the IOSH Guidance on Global Best Practices gives a simple scoring system which could be used as a KPI (available on the same webpage). There is also much to ponder on in the new HSE tool HaSPI (still under evaluation), all the detail you need via their website. Also some excellent guidance on using leading KPI's on the Step Change website.