Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2004 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Is just me or are there any Health & Safety Managers out there having a problem with the new accident book? I have provided training on how to complete the new book and what must be done once the form is completed i.e. who to give the form to and to take a photcopy. I also got HR to send a mail shot to all Staff with instrucions on how to fill out the book and there are examples on the Health & Safety notice boards. It is simple enough to keep the forms in chronological order (You would think) but this month I have three forms all claiming to be number 42!!! I have forms that were completed in early April and have a higher number than forms completed in early May!!!! I also have three forms that are not accounted for as the stubbs do match up to the number of forms that I have. I questioned Staff and Line Managers but nobody knows anyhthing!!!! I am informed that no one has made a mistake and started a new form (Alledgedly)....Tell me it is not just me that is having this problem... Aye, Rod D
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2004 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Must be just me then.....I'll get my coat... Aye, Rod D
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2004 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood You are right, it's not just you. I can't understand why people have difficulty filling out the stub but they do. Of course, as soon as someone forgets then you will end up with duplicate numbering. My solution was to fill the numbers on the forms myself. Tedious? yes very! But lacking any other solution it was all I could think of. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2004 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA Well I spend half my time ruling through the next page as people do not understand that 1 page(sheet) can account for two accidents.. Simple instructions...mmmmmmm!! Incidently though.... since the new book came out you've had 42 injuries??? please tell the forum that you employ 2000 people in a high risk environment and not 3 in a small factory.... otherwise some Guru is gunna have something to say about those stats...!! Regards PaulA
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2004 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas PaulA, Yeah I thought someone would have something to say about the number 42!!! I did not say that I had 42 injuries did I? No I did not. I said there were three (3)number 42 entries. I actually instruct staff to report near misses as well as actual accidents, I call it watching accident trends and "Eating away at the bottom of the Iceberg" You know the stats Paul. 189 near miss accidents with no injury of damage. Results in 7 minor accidents/inccident. Results in 1 Major injury/3 days off work accident or Dangerous occurrence at the "Tip of the Iceberg". So by picking away at the 189 near misses I can then reduce the number of Major injuries, 3 day events and dangerous occurrences. (Slap me for being Pro-active) Oh and by the way I work in the Custodial Estate i.e. Where people are held at Her Majesty's Pleasure, Prisons & Detention Centres etc I would say that they are a meduim to high risk environments. If you have anything that is constructive to help me in my environment please feel free to share it with me. Have a nice day. Yours Aye, Rod D PS I have not checked my spelling or grammar on this one because I wanted a quick response. Yee Ha
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2004 18:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Butler No its not just you! I also get people to report near misses, and non injury accidents, what we do is with an injury accident, is also use an accident report pad,that has a diagram to show where the person was injured, one copy to the casualty the other to personel, all data compliant, very pedantic but makes people think, I buy the "accident report" pads from Setons, hope that helps, regards,
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2004 22:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne If I ever wonder why I gave up being a health and safety practitioner and started my own business I just have to think back to times when I may have got all worked up about an accident book. Paul
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 May 2004 08:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Jones Rod, When I introduced the new accident book in all seven of our factories I produced a guide for correct completion, plain simple English, easy to understand and I briefed all first aiders - no problem, yes they all clearly understood, none of them had any problems with it, no questions, no problems. Yeah, right! First off, some muppet forgot to number the stub, got that sorted. A short while later I carried out a quick looksee at the books and found that more muppetry was afoot, the stub (same factory) now carried the date! O.k. - I know - properly trained people don't make mistakes etc etc - so, like others, I now pre number the stubs, time consuming it is, but at least I know I'm going to get sequential reports. So you're not alone! Regards David
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 May 2004 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof We're in agreement on that Paul, I like the humour.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 28 May 2004 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Rod, Why not ditch the new Acc. Book & rely on your internal reporting form? As long as the details are the same as on the BI510 & you get the Data Protection side sorted out, then you can use any format you want. We contacted the Dept. of Works & Pensions & they stated that this was not a problem. I am also aware of many organisations doing the same. This way you save on duplication, effort & money!