Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2004 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Eddington We have a lab set up with large volumes of Liquid Nitrogen (off) Gas passing through.... You can only gain access via keypad access.... Do I require depleted oxygen warning signs on the entrance area (alarms are in place) or will the Authorised Personnel Only sign be enough
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2004 20:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Brian Have a trawl through various archives. There was a fatality a year or so ago, in Edinburgh I think, from just this cause, someone working with nitrogen. It should be possible to find out what failures were identified, and recommendations made, by HSE following this case. I'm pretty sure that convictions ensued Laurie
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 May 2004 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Brian, These areas are very dangerous. Without a doubt confined spaces. Have a look at http://www.bcga.co.uk/first.htm There is a good powerpoint called Oxygen deficiency - two breaths and you are dead.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2004 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof To answer the question! Why not put both?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 May 2004 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Signs are cheap, if you think it would be helpful in that situation then stick one up, even if the law doesn't require it. This stuff is very nasty, and injuries from it are often severe. I remember having a near miss with liquid nitrogen in Edinburgh myself (a different incident to that mentioned above) ten or more years ago when I was an engineer. As part of the same incident another chap I was with almost died and suffered debilitating injury which prevents him working, or doing much else, to this day. Why my then employer was never prosecuted I can only guess at. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 May 2004 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jom Two years ago a scientist died at the Animal Health Laboratory in Geelong, Australia. This is a sophisticated, high security, commonwealth facility - not a two-bit opeartion. Take care. Learn the lessons. J.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 May 2004 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Brian, it sounds as though you have already done a lot - you have oxygen alarms. I am not clear from your posting whether this is liquid nitrogen itself, or whether it is a gas line fed from a liquid nitrogen tank. We have around 35000 litre storage capacity for liquid nitrogen, and we also run a helium liquefaction plant, so have faced some of the same issues. We don't have any areas with key pad access, but we do have oxygen alarms in key areas. One thing we have done is put up notices telling people what to do in the event that the alarm is going off. We also issue personal oxygen alarms to Security guards who enter the building at night, in case there has been a leak when no-one was around to see/hear it. I am not aware that there is a standard pictogram in the UK for an asphyxiating atmosphere. However, putting up warning notices would not be a bad idea, so that people know WHY they are not allowed access. e-mail me personally if you want further information on our (still evolving) procedures. Jane
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2004 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Marshall Brian, I would agree with Jane you seem to already have done a lot. Out of interest we do not allow any of our employees into a building where there is a risk of oxygen depletion without a personal monitor(even contractors)and each area has been risk assessed and signs put in place. We manufacture it and that is the precautions we put in place. Hope this helps.