Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2004 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Cartwright We have a lot of old computer equipment to get rid of. I know there will be a charge. My question is what legislation does this come under and when was it changed.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 May 2004 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Steve How old and decrepid are these computers? Can you not give them to charity? Would you then not save money on their disposal and be doing some one a good turn into the bargin - or is that prohibited by legislation as well? Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 May 2004 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller http://www.info4educatio...OHSIS3827700464288.pdf?1 Check this out if it does not work check your mail. I have attempted to sent you the file. It is the (WEEE) Directive 2002/96/EC Of the European Council 27th Jan 2003 Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations. This is now controlled waste! Recycle, Reuse, Repair Thats what is encouraged now becaue we have become a throw away society who is polluting the planet. Maybe a school could use the equipment. Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2004 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood See DTI Site for info: The Government is planning implementation of the WEEE Directive. It is required to be transposed into UK law by 13 August 2004. The Government published on 25 November 2003 a consultation paper inviting views on proposals for how it may implement the WEEE Directive. This consultation is now closed, however the consultation paper can be downloaded from the Dti website. An executive summary and an assessment of responses to this consultation paper have now been published. Shortcut to the site: http://www.dti.gov.uk/su...e/consultationpartii.pdf I think you can still shred (scrap) IT equipment or send to licensed landfill.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2004 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Hi Steve I am faced with a similar situation. Management argue that the issues of liability and future support prevent their donation to schools or similar bodies. If you do find anything out I would be grateful if you would forward it on. Thanks Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 June 2004 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Freeman Follow this link, http://www.realise-it.org/disposals.asp There are a few organisations that take away the redundant equipment. Our IT section ensures that there is nothing on the hard drives etc, and our legal department do not see any liability issues. Ian
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 June 2004 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter In Worcester, there is an organisation which will take redundant computer equipment; the refurbishment is done as a sort of occupational therapy by disabled people. Paul