Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2004 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Hello, Have any of you any experience of this to share. I have a copy of the HSE leaflet on this. I have spoken to the tax office covering our area. All helpful - but limited in case detail - not wanting to give too much of the game away. Benedict
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 May 2004 18:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke If you speak to the business support side of the inland revenue,they are (generally) very approachable. However you do need to know what questions to ask! I would suggest getting a wish list of purchases etc together and reading it to them! Linda
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 May 2004 18:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Hello Linda, I did speak with the businees blah etc of inland revenue & they suggested something on the same lines. I was wondering if anyone has followed this and the sort of things that seem to find approval and those that it seems are considered unacceptable or if broached or couched in different ways if a suitable supportive argument had been developed to persuade otherwise. Anyone, any clues you may feel able to share? Benedict
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 May 2004 18:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke Hi Its my understanding that you can claim relief on anything that you pay for in the course of work, but not for things that you have to spend in order to be able to work! Hence, childcare - no, bottles of wine to customers - no, Chauffeur - yes, seating/furnishings - yes etc. The other considerations would be if what you are buying are then considered a capital asset, as then you may not be able to claim all the tax relief in one year, but only a percentage in each year. The IR dept I mentioned earlier do offer to come out and discuss things with you, that way you can ask lots of questions off your list, note the answers and who you spoke to. So if they do get it wrong, you don't pay for it!! Linda
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2004 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Hello Linda, Ta for second message - the tax office didn't offer a visit - so nice to know it can be asked for and thanks for info on the taking of names. What I'm uncertain about (and before wasting time & effort for all) I'd just like to see what others may have tried and had refused/accepted by Inland revenue - are services such as biological sampling/ monitoring acceptable for consideration - eg blood sampling for indication of exposure to carcinogens/ respiratory agents, annual medical checks for occupational health - hearing/ HAVS/ eye sight/ dermatitis. Or the purchase of monitoring/measuring equipment for noise/ HAVS etc. Anyone had experience(s) on this. Benedict