Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2004 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone I have before me a MSDS for a cleaning solvent. Whilst reading through the information I found this sentance: "the flash point is given at >55 C, it is not classed as flammable for supply, but is classed as flammable for transport" How can this be classed as flammable one minute and not the next?? Thanks Ian Im probably missing something really simple here!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2004 15:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CHRISTOPHER HAYWARD Different limits 55 for CHIP 61 for Transport (ADR since May 2004) Sometime soon the limts will be standardised across the world.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2004 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin The risk when transproting and using a product are different. For example, you might expect a larger volume of product spill during an accident, with potentially immediate contact with the hot components of a vehicle engine. When compared with its intended use the risk of fire could be greater and hence it is placed in a risk band that ensures additional precautions are taken during transport. Or it could simply be that the standards have not be compared and standardised. I dare say that it would be categorised differently by IATA for air transport! So there you have it, either a cunning risk based approach to flammability classification of another Brussels born Euro-conspiracy!!