Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2004 08:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Hi All Redundancy has inspired a friend of mine to make the jump to self-employment. His company provides a sub-assembley and small quantity manufacturing service, and thus his operations are highly variable from day to day. The work done by his employees is mostly of a repetitive nature, cellular production methods are employed, but the sub-assembley task in particular carry a high degree of repetition, with many being only a single or two operation process. His previous experience in our factory has made him acutely aware of the dangers of WRULD and he is keem to minimise the potential for such injuries in his new enterprise. Over a pint the other day, he sought my advise in the area of suitable and sufficient risk assessment and in what provision a SME employing only 18 people would be expected to make to mitigate the effects of reptitive work on his employees. I have agreed to assist him on a "mates rates" basis for a short time, but I must soon move on to pastures new at which point he'll be on his own for the most part. As a startup enterprise, the guy is doing his best but has limited resources, as is often the case with SME's. He does take OHS very seriously though and is keen to give it the attention and resource it deserves. A full risk assessment process is well under way and most of the key areas requiring attention have been identified. What would be helpful would be some kind of standard ergonomics checklist he could run through when beginning a new operation to assess its likely impact on the body and highlight possible controls. Expert ergonomic risk assessment of each task is not an option because most projects are very short lived. If anyone could point me in the direction of some suitable material I would be very grateful. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2004 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Alec I don't know of a checklist, I'm afraid, but 'Bodyspace' by Stephen Pheasant contains a lot of very useful information. I got my copy from Amazon. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2004 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter John Campbell Quill Dear Alec A useful website may be http://www.hebs.com/safe..._topics.cfm?pageID=6.003 as it is set up specifically for SMEs and does reference other documents. If he was in Scotland he could access free advice through this service. Unfortunately I have no idea if a similar service exists throughout the UK. Best regards Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2004 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Deborah Armstrong Hi Alex Please find below two websites which provide sample ergonomic checklists - both American sites, but still the same cause! www.lni.wa.gov/wisha/erg...emofnl/kensfluke-fnl.pdf www.jicosh.gr.jp/english/aboutjicosh/ training/program/ergonomics/koide/1.html It appears to be the main factors that should be included in the checklist are: Awkward Posture High Hand Force Highly Repetitive Motions Repeated Impacts Heavy/Frequent/Akward Lifting Moderate to High Hand/Arm Vibration HSG 121 "A Pain in your Workplace" offers good advice - an assembly line is included as an example. Regards, Debbie