Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2004 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Len Newman
With the D.D.A.in October I have a concern regarding entry into buildings with dogs.

At the moment we state Guide Dogs Only.

What happens when a Hearing dogs or dogs for the disabiled with their handlers come for entry into the buildings under DDA ?

I have my thoughts, but I would be interested in others.

I have not seen any informasion on this subject.

Thanks,

Len Newman.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2004 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
The stating of guide dogs only was much the norm for a very long time and persists simply because until recently other types of assistance dogs were little known.

With the increased use of hearing dogs and others, surely it is just a case of changing a sign or two, retyping the odd document and policy and communicating a slightly different form of words. Times change, as do the technologies employed, the DDA is just forcing us to reflect this, but in reality the usefullness of the other types of assitance dog outside the home is questionable so the guide dog is still likely to be the main one we encounter.

From a mangement point of view, I fail to see any issues here apart from the expenditure on new signs. The case for providing admission of guide dogs can surely be naturally extended to the other forms of assistance dog. I cannot envisage any circumstance in which a case could be made for not doing so. If one can accomodate guide dogs already then nothing need be changed to accomodate other types of assistance dogs.

As with most "rights" legislation we can expect a few militants to cruise the areas looking for a non-compliance to feed to the press, and I suppose an old sign on the door would be just such an opportunity.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2004 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Just as Alec says, simple change of word "Guide" to "Assistance" is all that should be required. Most users would interpret it this way, as they realise that other forms of assistance dog are less well known. It is, however, important that you educate your reception/security/commissionaire staff so that they are aware of this, and don't try to chuck out any dog not accompanied by a person with a white stick and dark glasses.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony O'Keefe
Good Afternoon Len,

With reference to your Query, I have just returned from the IOSH Humberside Branch meeting where there was a presentation on (how the DDA will affect Health and Safety).

During the presentation Assistance dogs were discussed and the top and bottom of it is that you would be breaching the DDA Act 1995. if you allow guide dogs entry then you MUST ALLOW OTHER ASSISTANCE DOGS ENTRY.

here is an extract from the handout that we received, "Hygiene, Health and Safety are some of the reasons why disabled persons are refused entry to, for example, in food shops and restauraunts".

Because of their training and skills the institute of environmental health officers have stated that assistance dogs are exempt from the usual hygiene rules that apply to dogs including those that relate to areas where food is being served.

Assistance dog owners are given a card by the institute which explains this, and many dog owners carry a card as a matter of course.

the institutes decision was based on a number of factors:

Assistance dogs are highly trained working dogs not pets.
An assistance dog will not wander around premises.
An assistance dog will rest quietly next to its owner.
An assistance dog is trained to go to the toilet on command and are unlikely to foul public places.

If you would like further information regarding this matter you can:

E Mail office@choicesandrights.demon.co.uk or Telephone 01482 719585 and ask for Duncan Edge.

I hope that this has been of some assistance.

Regards

Tony O'Keefe