Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2004 15:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston
We have Rangers that use the above around a small country park.

Can anyone point me in the direction of information relating to the particular type of helmet/visor that should be worn and what British Standard (if any) applies to the helmets.

Cheers
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2004 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
I would recommend open-face helmets or the full face type where the visor and chin-guard can both be moved up similar to those used by the police. Have a look at the Lazer Century on http://www.customlids.co.../helmets/lazer/lazer.htm
This helmet scores poorly in many reviews in bike mags because it is a bit noisy for 120mph dashes down the M1, but for protection it comes out top of all the so called system helmets and at £100 is very cheap. I use one regularly both on and off road and at speeds of less than 60mph it is quiet to wear. If you've got a national lottery win burning a hole in your pocket the Nolan and Shoei are worth a look at too. Full face helmets give far superior impact protection than open face ones.

Open face helmets give best visibility, visors give the rider comfort and protection from the effects of a cold air blast continuously running over the face and eyes. Goggles of the motocross type may be effective with open face helmets. Such helmets may also need to be supplemented by seperate chin guards. These stand further from the face and lower than that on a full face helmet. These are only really necessary for high speed cross-country (off track) use.

Helmets should conform to BS6658 or ECE R22.05 with the latter being the more stringent standard. Visors should be marked as BS4110 for fitting to a BS helmet or ECE R22.05 for an ECE helmet. Strictly speaking they should not be interchanged.

Have a look at http://www.motrax.co.uk/...ing/helmet_standard.html for an explanation of the relevant standards for crash helmets.

Please do not spend any less than £100 on the helmets, you really do get what you pay for, and avoid anything marked specifically as "off road use", it will not meet the standards mentioned above.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2004 23:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke
I had a lovely accident, whilst wearing a Shoei helmet, landed on my head (then got into safety - not sure if the bang on my head has a lot to answer for!)
however, I always buy shoei now, I know they are good.

Lidna
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2004 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Agricultural Information Sheet AIS33 (HSE) has some information on these.

Lidna? Have you banged your head again?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2004 20:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
A long time ago I had a lovely 50mph accident in a Nike helmet which was brand new. Suffice to say I will never buy a Nike helmet again.

Alec Wood
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2004 22:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richy
Open face leaves you open to serious road rash of the chinn variety.
As a former sports bike rider I would definatley recomend a full face helmet. However I assume that most of this quading is done on soft marshy heath land. Therefore try and avoid large rocks when you fall off.
On a more serious note the lifty up lid sounds more promising especially as quads are unlikeley to reach 120 mph +. Visibility? as my bike instructor taught me why not try a life saver.
Kind Regards
Richy Marriott
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2004 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia
Quad bikes are not (mainly) road going high speed vehicles, and the highly-engineered motorcycling helmets are heavier and more visually restrictive than is necessary. When the visor is used, they mist up unless travelling at a higher speed than ATVs, and are inevitably lifted, so additional eye protection (sunglasses) is still needed.
As a consequence, farmers etc. steadfastly decline to use even open face motorbike helmets. Try answering a mobile or listening for the cry of a lamb with those on. Motorbike helmets are designed for motorcycling - is that a conflict with the "suitability" expectation for PPE??
The HSE did some research (sorry can't recall details but it's quite old) on the effectiveness of various types of head protection from impact and obviously motorcycling full face helmets provide the top level of protection - as I suspect they would if you were wearing one on a building site when a brick fell. They also found that modern cycling or equestian helmets gave about half that level of protection (much much more than nothing!).
Subsequently, a specific ATV helmet was developed by Logic Equipment (01434 606661). This did not have any kind of approval (Farmers Weekly 2001), although this may have changed as it is now often featured in promotional pictures of ATVs. It includes a retractable visor and peak. It is very similar to an equestrian protective lid.
Whilst specifically manufactured for farmers etc. it is unlikely that this specific ATV helmet can offer any higher protection than existing cycling / equestrian hard hats, so it would be difficult for the HSE to 'approve' it. As nothing can beat the impact protective standard of a full face motorbike lid, once HSE have set that as a benchmark, how can they possibly retract?
All ATV training establishments insist on 'proper' head protection so I would be interested to hear their view if someone turned up wearing the Logic hat.
Talk to your HSE inspector / ATV trainer for current views.