Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2004 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler Does anyone have any stats on the number of companies that have actually done anything about this. Have undergone surveying etc. My boss has asked me to gather info on how long asbestos surveying will remain to be in demand as a service offered to clients. I suspect many companies are still unaware of the duty to manage and even more (that may be aware) have done little or nothing as yet. I also think many companies are waiting for the first big 'scape goat' to be prosecuted under the regs until they actually do anything. What are your thoughts?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2004 21:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin A Stear I don't know how many have done surveys yet but some studies (can't remember refs but I think one was an insurance company) suggest that most have done little. My guess is that things will calm down in time as organisations realise they don't have to do their surveys now but they do have to control risk now by developing a sound management plan. If this is the case surveys should stay around for years to come and sadly I think there will also be some resurveying as companies have to redo bad surveys. HSE always envisaged an initial increase in surveying that plateaued and contined for a good few years. Martin Stear
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2004 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Tyler The flow of ads looking for asbestos surveys/analysis in the EU Official Journal and elsewhere is fast and getting faster. Those with big property portfolios are getting to grips with the problem. However, as Martin indicates, some will adopt a management now, survey as required position. No doubt many smaller property owners will still be looking for support well into the future. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2004 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lightbody Don't forget chaps that Reg 4 of the Control of Asbestos At Work Act 2002 which came in to force on 21st May also requires that the dutyholder shall : 1. ensure that the assessment is reviewed if there is reason to suspect that the assessment is no longer valid; or there has been a significant change in the premises to which the assessment relates. 2.The dutyholder shall ensure that the conclusions of the assessment and every review are recorded. Where asbestos is retained in premises due to it's assessed safe location or good condition and adequately managed, the duty holder will have to continually (period open for debate) ensure that no release of fibres is permitted. Therefore, there is going to be an on-going need to survey regardless if the premises have had an initial survey.