Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2004 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Mulhern Our contractor control policy requires that contractors and suppliers have to show H&S competence by providing copies of their H&S policy, insurances, proof of training, test certificates for equipment etc. But should we ask say British Telecom or the Electricity Board to provide such details/ proof etc in advance of their technicians etc calling to our premises. Does anyone else do this? I would appreciate any opinions, thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2004 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter John Why should BT et al be treated any differently from anybody else? Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2004 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Max Webber Quite right all sub-contractors should be treated the same. They would expect the same certification if you were working for them. Other wise what proof do you have of competence. regards Max
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2004 20:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Yes Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2004 06:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope John, Vetting must have a positive impact on preventing accidents to be worthwhile. Our local electricity "board" showed us that their safety policy has a 176 page index ! If you were to recieve a copy how would you be better equipped to manage them ? Regarding a near fatal accident in which the conduct of an utiltiy was a significant contributory cause, through negligence, the HSE inspector involved mentioned that they had come accross a problem with this particular body - it involved a cavalier practice of starting work on site without relating to the client, advising the client of what work was to be carried out, who to liase with etc - day to day safety management issues. I would commend that you ammend your policy accordingly so that your efforts are directed at more practical accident prevention. My blood still runs cold when I see this utility on site, knowing that they were not brought to book.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2004 08:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear all, I have great difficulty in accepting that provision of safety policy, manuals, certificates etc is proof of competence; in fact in my experience it is normally not! What the company says is done and what the "man in the van" does when he gets to site tend not to be the same. My general recommendation is as follows: Carry out a general risk assessment for the tasks to be contacted. Then dependent upon the controls you can put sensible selection & control procedures in place. If the risks are low then controls can be few; if the risks are high or complex then the controls will also be more complex. If the risks are low select from an appropriate trade body and/or use local knowledge & experience. Where there is more risk I would want details, training, knowledge & experience, of who is supervising and going to do the job and a plan of work. I would also ask for details of similar projects and references. In high-risk cases I want method statements as well. The details of who is doing the work and the plan of work would tell me whether they are competent to carry out the work in principle. I would want to speak to previous clients and possibly visit them on other sites to see their work being done. In some cases I would formally interview them. In all cases its "horses for courses" so what I would do in each case would depend upon the risk scenario. Prior to starting work I would ask for Insurances. At a minimum this is Public and employers Liability, but it may include Professional Indemnity where necessary. On arriving at site I would always induct all of the contractors and check their work equipment. I would have a meeting with their supervisor at the start and end of each day/shift. I would also carry out random checks to ensure that they are following their plan of work and method statements and see the quality of their work. Low risk works would have few checks, higher would be carried out under an approval scheme risk with more checks and very high risk activities would be carried out under a permit to work with permanent supervision being present. In all cases record your activities. What hasn't been recorded hasn't been done ... Records aren't important until their needed so keep the number of records down, but make sure that they're properly completed at the right time. At the end of each project, have a project debrief and learn from the mistakes. Regards Adrian Watson.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2004 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Adrian is absolutely right of course, but in the real world most companies have little time or resource to do everything in detail. As a former Group consultant to BT for example, I was used to regularly providing answers to both Client and Contractor questionnaires on safety and health. That is probably the minimum that should be done but it is still only catching on with the larger companies and many Councils in particular. Alas, many of the questions asked are ambiguous and often benign, leaving the respondee a lot of room to manouvre. The weak link is the inability of most recipients to actually check the detail as most questionnaires are simply checked against a criteria list of acceptable attributes - or, simply ignored as the preferred contractor is the one favoured by Finance or a director! I think this area is one where IOSH could provide a standard for companies to follow - what about it, colleagues?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 June 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze George, As usual you have put forward a fantastic suggestion, which I think would be very helpful to all. Having just spent some time working on a new contractors procedure with the assistance of colleagues from this forum, I would be happy to share my findings. I'll contact you direct.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 June 2004 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By kelvin Interesting topic, I agree that a good policy does not mean good H&S. As most of us have realised good policy documentation does not always mean good quality H&S practices in the workplace. It is important to monitor all work practices during the period when works are carried out on your site or a workplace you have legal resposibility for. Monitoring/Inspecting the working conditions and employees ensures that the safety of all involved is not jepodised at the sharp end of the workforce. If i know a company has a reputation for loose H&S, inpections will be more frequent. Meeting legislative requirements to ensure you have done the minimal of your resposibility should not be the aim of your H&S practices. Kelvin
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 June 2004 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan John The road construction industry were having the same concerns in NI and just recently launched, what they refer to as a "Relationships Protocol", aimed at setting out the actions for all players on site (contractor, utility companies, client). I have reproduced it below, as best as I can, but if you want a properly formatted one I can arrange for that. The protocol is endorsed by all the key organisations and will be monitored for effectiveness. Hope this helps. Ciaran ciaran@web-safety.com "Relationships Protocol" The Construction Design and Management Regulations require co-operation and co-ordination between all parties involved in the design and delivery of construction work. Compliance with this best practice Guidance Note will promote effective co-ordination and co-operation between Roads Service, Principal Contractors, Contractors, Utility Companies and their Sub-Contractors. The objective of all the interested parties is to ensure the health, safety and welfare of road workers and road users. The following actions are necessary to further this aim and to establish and maintain a good working relationship between all parties. Action 1. Advance notification of proposed utility works, that are to be done by any utility and/or their contractor during the Project, is to be provided to the Principal Contractor before work commences. Liaison arrangements for these works are to be agreed at this stage. Action 2. The Principal Contractor is to be provided with a list detailing any nominated utility sub-contractors, seeking access to the site. The listing is to include; nature and scope of work, contact names, telephone numbers and level(s) of responsibility. Action 3. The utility company is to provide relevant risk assessments, method statements and the name of their safety advisor to the Principal Contractor before work can commence. Action 4. The utility company and/or their sub-contractors are to discuss and agree with the Principal Contractor any necessary accommodation works to facilitate storage of their plant and materials on site. Action 5. The Principal Contractor is to facilitate briefing meeting(s) with all interested parties, if necessary, in order that relevant information and program of works can be communicated and agreed prior to work starting on site. Action 6. Any changes to works, details of delays or extensions to the utility works, which may affect the overall program, is to be notified to the Principal Contractor at the earliest opportunity. The sharing of information, clarity and co-operation will ensure that all parties involved are aware of their responsibilities. Adherence to the above procedures will enhance relationships and facilitate the safe and efficient carrying out of work. The QPANI/ Roads Service liaison committee will monitor the effectiveness of this protocol and its outworking will be discussed at any contract performance reviews.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 05 June 2004 23:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst a good H&S Policy may not indicate good H&S performance, a poor one may well indicate that the company is not in receipt of up-to-date guidance from a competent person (as per Management Regs). The main issues for me (in addition to insurance) tend to be whether the company have thought through the risks of the job and committed themselves to safe means of dealing with them.