Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2004 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dr Chris French
In a recent discussion with regard to risk assessment, we got on to the topic of whether risks are acceptable or tolerable. Is there any right or wrong answer? Do some people accept risks but others not only tolerating them?

I would be grateful if anyone could shed any 'official' light

Chris French
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen
Tolerable or acceptable? A good question. I used the following definition recently:

“In the case of risks which can be assessed quantitatively any risk which is higher than 1 x 10 -3 is considered to be intolerable and the activity giving rise to this risk cannot continue or be permitted to start. A risk which is below 1 x 10 -6 is considered tolerable and no further action is required. Between these two boundaries a risk is considered tolerable provided it is as low as is reasonably practicable ie provided that it can be shown that any further expenditure of time, trouble or money would be grossly disproportionate to the risk reduction achieved.”

This of course refers to those at work. If the risk is to those who are not at work ie general public, householders adjacent to major hazard site, 1 x 10 -7 is usually thought to be the upper boundary of tolerability.

The term “tolerable” came to prominence in the HSE report on the tolerability of risk from nuclear power stations which in turn became the starting point for determining the tolerability of risk in offshore operations. I think the difference between tolerability and acceptance is the difference between active and passive. Tolerability refers to a risk over which I have no control eg it is present in the workplace whatever I do or it is next door to my house and I can’t turn it off.

Acceptability refers to a risk over which I have some control ie I am only exposed to it if I carry out some activity and there are actions I can take to reduce the risk ie apply my skill and experience, follow procedures, use PPE.

Thus a quantitative risk assessment may identify that residual risk from a process is “tolerable” (or not) while a task risk assessment may determine that provided the work is carried out in a certain way the risk is “acceptable”. However the terms are often used interchangeably.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2004 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
Of course there is also some credibility in the idea of keeping it simple so that the ones at the sharp end can buy into it!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2004 16:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods
Are the answers 7,4 and 3?

I find that acceptable risks are tolerable except in unacceptable circumstances when I will not tolerate them.

Hope this clarifies things.

Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2004 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Chris

Whether 'residual risk is tolerable or acceptable' is I suggest largely a matter of semantics. Succinctly illustrated by one particular wag.

The HSE have produced various documents on the TOR (Tolerability of Risk) criteria which identifies 4 or 5 different processes for quantifying the TOR concept. However, most of these processes are subjective with the exception of a QRA, CBA etc. Even CBA require a certain amount of subjectivity in terms of the morality of risk.

The best explanation of risk, residual or otherwise, is on a 'risk and reward' basis. In other words, there is only an acceptable risk if the potential reward justifies the risk, at least for that particular person or group. Hence people will see risks differently because 'reality' is socially contructed and therefore difficult to measure objectively.

Regards

Ray
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2004 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear All,

An acceptable risk is defined as '"A risk that is generally regarded by those exposed to it as not worth worrying about.'

A tolerable risk is defined as 'A risk that society is prepared to live with in order to have certain benefits and in confidence that the risk is being properly controlled.'

Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2004 18:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
Defined by whom?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 June 2004 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
"An acceptable risk is defined as '"A risk that is generally regarded by those exposed to it as not worth worrying about"

Not sure about that, Adrian.

We have all come across people who are exposed to risks which they regard as not worth worrying about, but we, as health and safety professionals, would not regard those risks as acceptable.

Laurie
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2004 08:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
The use of "tolerable" rather than "acceptable" emphasises that residual risks should be further reduced if practicable.

One may do everything reasonably practicable to reduce risk in a given situation and end up with what is still a medium to high risk activity. Such risk should not be accepted for ever more, but may be tolerated in the short term.

For example, years ago the inspection of radioactive highly contaminated areas was carried out by people wearing protective equipment, some still is. This risk was tolerated until the technology was developed allowing the much more common robotic inspection systems we see in use today. If the risks these technicians faced had been "acceptable" then there would have been no need to develop alternative technological systems and solutions.

When audited for OHSAS18001 by BSI we were asked to ammend our general production activites risk assessment forms to "indicate what level of risk is tolerable (NOT acceptable) under normal circumstances in your everyday factory operations". The auditor's explanation for this text was as given above.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#10 Posted : 07 June 2004 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel
There is always residual risk and it must therefore be acceptable.

What worries me is that there are people who are prepared to put in writing the view that once you have implemented all possible controls, the residual risk must by definition be "insignificant" or somesuch because you can't do any more. I've done all I can to drive safely but I wouldn't dare assume that the risk of an RTA is less than significant.

The use of numbers to calculate risk only obscures the fact that a risk assessment is intended to ensure you have done all you can not to ascribe soem obscure score to your subjective view.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 07 June 2004 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen
Official light! Checking the HSE guidance again it appears that they see “tolerable” as a band between “unacceptable” and “acceptable”.

Guidance on ALARP for Offshore Division Inspectors
Making an ALARP demonstration
http://www.hse.gov.uk/offshore/circulars/enf38.htm
“Risk criteria and tolerability - The HSE framework for the tolerability of risk shows three regions:
1. A region of high risk – unacceptable region.
2. A region of intermediate risk – tolerable region.
3. A region of low risk – broadly acceptable region.
Unacceptable Region - a risk falling in this region is regarded as unacceptable whatever the level of benefit associated with the activity.

Tolerable Region - a risk falling in this region is typical of the risks from activities which people are prepared to tolerate to secure benefits. There is however an expectation that such risks are properly assessed, appropriate control measures are in place, residual risks are as low as is reasonably practicable (ALARP) and that risks are periodically reviewed to see if further controls are appropriate.

Broadly Acceptable Region - a risk falling in this region is generally regarded as insignificant and adequately controlled. None the less the law still requires further risk reductions if it is reasonably practicable. However, at these levels the opportunity for further risk reduction is much more limited.”
I appreciate that these concepts may be too difficult for some people who inhabit these threads. However when I talk to the workforce involved and exposed to such risks they are fully informed, understand the concepts and are able to discuss the risks rationally. They will know for instance how these risks compare with other occupations and other human activities, eg driving or sport. They know too that quantitative assessments are at best estimates and are only as good as the consistency and validity of the assumptions made in their calculation. As a result they will be more interested in the strength of the qualitative assessments made.
Finally, they will know that in calculating whether an ALARP solution has been achieved a value may have had to have been put on human life. They will not emotionally react to this knowing that this is done in many walks of life and that the value chosen is well in excess of that they have chosen for themselves or is used by the state. No obscure scores used at all.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 09 June 2004 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dr Chris French
All

Thanks you all for your insiteful comments. I think this could be worthy of piece in SHP?

We all go through our lives with some risks, which we justify into acceptable or tolerable. I am very intersested in your comments posted.

Thanks you all once again.

Chris