Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2004 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater
We are a confectionery company who is about to install a Candy Reclaim Unit that will necessitate the use of enzymes. Three of the four enzymes we will need to use are "Harmful". The Safety and Risk phrases reading - R-42, may cause sensitisation by inhalation, S-24, Avoid contact with skin and S36/37, Wear suitable protective clothing and gloves.

We have completed risk assessments for the process, however the word "suitable" is providing us with a slight problem.
Should we issue a chemical proof apron, a full body chemical suit or is a lab coat sufficient.

Myself, I prefer a full body chemical suit, yet questions about the practicality and ease of use are being asked.

Does anyone else use enzymes, such as Protease (neutral), and if so what control measures do they use?

Regards,
Mark
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2004 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
You don't say enough about the other control measures or how exposure may take place. What protection you need to give the individuals who work there will depend on the potential for exposure:

When does potential exposure take place - is it when measuring the stuff out? Is it when it is in the process? Is it when dealing with spills? Is it when disposing of waste?

In what form does the exposure take place - is it a dust in the atmosphere, or a liquid solution that you can touch, or what?

With a substance that could cause sensitisation you will need to pay particular attention to preventing exposure. You will also need to consider health surveillance.

Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater
Jane,

Yes, guilty as charged!

In my haste to put finger to keyboard I naturally expected everyone else to know what I am talking about.

The main issue is around the decanting from 25 litre plastic drums into 500ml containers with screw top lids.

There is then a further decanting process of each of the four enzymes into the open top dissolver, where there is risk of splashing up.

We are not yet sure if there will be any dripping down the side of these smaller containers as we are not sure of the viscosity of the liquid. So spillage may be an issue.

There will be no waste, as such, as the enzymes will be killed off within the process when the temperature is raised above 50 degrees.

A certain amount of training will take place by the suppliers, regarding handling and process effects etc, however that is aimed at the production end and not at the initial decanting area.

The main problems for us are that we have never come across this type of substance before as it is a new process to our site and we are receiving very little help from the manufacturer.

So apart from the main considerations of elimination, substitution etc., we are struggling with the type of suitable PPE we can offer the operators to prevent splashes onto their skin and clothing.

We pretty much know which RPE, gloves and goggles to provide but the type of material and style of PPE is pulling us in differing directions.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Mark
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2004 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
It seems to me that the first issue is one of manual handling. Why decant when you can use caps with taps (don't know the right name). The risk of splash, spill and contamination is minimised. The drums can be put in cradles.
Consider an LEV (ie point of source) when transfering. Are there MELs and STELs associated with the enzymes/ That would be a starting point as well, as you already have the risk phrases, I gather, from an MSDS!
As for the PPE, well, we all know that it is the "last line of defence". If you were to carry out a risk assessment on team basis you would very quickly be able to establish any possible risk of harm in relation to likelihood of occurance. Do also consider the state of health of the individual(s) that are carrying out the work. And, last but not least do consider spillage control measures and the environment!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2004 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry
Hello,

Have you thought about using any kind of "closed transfer" system - eliminating the need to be exposed.

At what concentration is the enzyme you may be exposed to - most risks with enzymes is during the manufacture process as people are constantly being exposed to high concentrations for extended periods of time.

What is the enzyme doing in your process?

Benedict