Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2004 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By RWB2003
Does anyone know what is the maximum permitted temperature in an office environment?

Many thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2004 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
There isn't one, the Workplace Health, Safety & Welfare Regs speak of reasonable temps. I believe that the TUC want to see max temps introduced and I think they want to see 30C as a max. I tend to think anything over 27C is too hot and action should be taken at this time to reduce it.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2004 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
There isn't one; neither is there a minimum temperature as the Workplace Regs merely say that the temperature must be reasonable. However, the ACoP does specify minimum temperatures.

Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2004 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Old chestnut - there isn't one! The TUC have been maintaining a campaign regarding this issue but you will not find recommended upper limits, only provision of lower limits in the ACoP for Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regs - that being 16 deg C (sedentary) with 13 deg C where severe physical effort is involved. Note that these are not statutory limits, simply recommended in the ACoP (Approved Code of Practice) - see para 43.

The measure is simply what is "reasonable" - it is up to you to discuss and agree on what that is!!

The way I would recommend you tackle this is set up a simple log and make routine measurements using an ordinary thermometer, say morning, midday and afternoon / evening. The accuracy of the thermometer isn't really critical, but it should be consistent so use the same one at the same times of day. Set the time period you think most effective, but if it is a week or less then you might attract the "aye, but that was just last week" repulse. Done adequately, the chart will show average diurnal variation throughout the day.

This is only to illustrate the variation and the maximum / minimums being experienced. Make it comprehensive by adding in weather conditions (sunny / cludy / raining etc.) to determine if there is a relationship between external conditions and internal conditions, and note how many people were in the office (a large number of computers being active can increase ambient temperature more than you would think).

If you want further suggestions please contact me by email (just click on the name in blue above this post).
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2004 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Samantha Fisher
This question always seems to get raised on a day like today. I've been asked by colleagues the same thing at a number of companies i have worked at. There is no stated temperature, but if I remember correctly from one bit of checking I did a few years ago there is something you may be able to use with regard to levels of ventilation. I can't remember what regulations I found it in but the office in question was on the top floor of a building with a flat roof and windows that did not open. On days like today it didn't take long for people to begin to feel ill. If I can find it again I'll put up another post.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2004 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Aha!! Summer's here.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2004 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Samantha

What sort of day is a day like today? I've got 14 degrees, overcast and blustery showers
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2004 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
Shouldn't think there would be a problem up there Ron. Every time I go it rains!

Lecturing on 8th and got a night in auld reekie - you in?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2004 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Samantha Fisher
A day like today in my neck of the woods is sunny and airless sitting in an office built in the 70's with big windows, flat roof and no air-con. It's a bit like sitting in a greenhouse. It was great yesterday, sitting in the garden but not quite as great today.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 08 June 2004 08:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Samantha,

Ventillation is covered in the same Regs I quoted above (Workplace H,S&W), Reg 6.

Unfortunately, it is as useful as the temperature one -

"6(1) Effective and suitable provision shall be made to ensure that every enclosed workplace is ventillated by a sufficient quantity of fresh or purified air."

You could argue that the fact that the windows will not open means that there is no adequate throughput or replenishment of air, and in fact a lack of ventillation also promotes communicable airbourne diseases and increases absences as well. The guidance in the ACoP (para 38) suggests that the fresh air rate should not normally fall below 5 to 8 litres per second, per occupant. There is also reference to more detailed guidance by both the HSE and Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.

Note should be made that ventillation and temperature are not the same - circulation of warm air will maintain a high temperature and the ambient temperature will not necessarily be affected simply by ventilating an area. Even introducing circulation of fresh air from outside, the temperature aspect would still need to be addressed. Often this amounts to calls for installation of air conditioning where the air will be artificially refrigerated, but this involves increased energy use and hence running costs (as well as initial capital cost!) and needs to be contrasted against any existing environmental policy.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 08 June 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven
Greetings from sunny Rossendale; where the temperature in my office is 25oC and I'm just about to open the window and switch on the fan.

Agree with advice/comments given by the other contributors, but isn't this old chestnut all about management failings and lack of commonsense on behalf of management and employees. For example:

* Every year we approach the summer months expecting it to get hotter and knowing that there is a fair chance that working temperatures will become uncomfortable and, in some cases, unbearable. But do we plan for this? Not usually. We just react to the problems in a panic.

* As part of that panic, managers and office workers ask things like; At what temperature do we allow staff to remove ties? Can I remove my tie? My tea-break was at 10am and I am not on lunch until 1.30, its now 12 noon and I'm feeling dehydrated and faint - Can I go for an extra short break and get a cold drink? Can I allow my staff to take additional breaks? Can we buy ice-cream? (TRUE - it happened at an office I worked at. Do we have a policy on the wearing of shorts?

* At the same time, around November/December we expect temperatures to reduce. Pipes burst, boilers break down, central heating systems fail, fuel supplies run low. Again, do we really plan for this?

As far as minimum and maximum temperatures are concerned, do/would they achieve anything other than allowing people to toss aside their common sense or cop-out of their reponsibility to assess the situation. It's either too hot, too cold or - as is the norm - somewhere inbetween. Can we really say that the minumum temperature for office work will always be 16oC? I can remember, as a Post Office Union Safety Rep, sitting in the canteen with a group of colleagues, with my coat on (which was quite unnecessary!), waiting for the temperature to creep up from 57 to 61oF before gong back into the office!! If I were to be quite honest, I would have to admit that we could have managed perfectly well when the temperature was around the late 50s, particularly as we knew that the boiler was being repaired. At the same time, I would defy anyone to claim that the temperature in the sun-facing, large glass windows (greenhouse effect) Reuel Harrison building maths department at Stockport College was ok until it hit the TUC and World Health Organisation supported maxiumum of 30oC - anything above the mid 20s was awful.

Mike
Admin  
#12 Posted : 09 June 2004 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Geoff,

8th of what?
Admin  
#13 Posted : 09 June 2004 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair
I am absolutely amazed that this one has never been the subject of a claim by employees, to get the courts to set a specific or range of temperatures.

The reason I am amazed is that like most other health and safety legislation, there is a "reverse burden of proof" on the employer (i.e. to show that any "high" temperature was reasonable in the circumstances).

I can appreciate that in the past nobody would risk the cost of such litigation, but today with Conditional Fee Arrangements and After the Event insurance, I am surprised that notbody has sought to clarify the matter in court.

Regards.

David

P.S. As I don't do PI, I am not touting for business.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 09 June 2004 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By kelvin
Hello all,
It didnt take long for the temperature to enter IOSH discussions. From what i remember of my Occ Hygiene studies during my degree i believe the the following TLV's are in place for the control of heat stress at work.

Continuous Work:
i. Light work = 30.0C
ii. Moderate work = 26.7C
iii. Heavey Work = 25.0C

75% work 25%rest (per hour):
i. Light work = 30.6C
ii. Moderate Work = 28.0C
iii. Heavy Work = 25.9C

50% work, 50% rest (per hour):
i. Light work = 31.4C
ii. Moderate work = 29.4C
iii. Heavy work = 27.9C

25% Work, 75% rest, (per hour)
i. Light Work = 32.2°C
ii. Moderate work = 31.1°C
iii. Heavy work = 30.0°C

Light work constitues office work. Sun exposure can directly influence the Wet Bulb Globe Temps (WBGT) thus altering the TLV's. Oxygen levels, air flow, drafts etc are a different issue.

I dont think there is much chance of reaching the TLV at our location today. Hope this is helpful

Kelvin