Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2004 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE
I write this message to show my disgust at an organisation whom trade their ware throughout the country, yet offer no guarntees, after service or decency to make information available to the persons upon whom without our services could not survive.

As I write this message, their will be those who will feel that the message is sour grapes due to my failure to pass this certificate, however I tell you this , this is not the case.

My concern is that if after paying large sums of money, then not achieving something something I feel that I should have the right to be told where I have gone wrong.

This is not the case when you undertake a NEBOSH Exam.
Of course we are all disappointed when we dont achieve, but how can you possibly improve when no feedback is provided.

The excuse of we have 17,000 persons exam sheets per year to mark is not a valid excuse.

Have not NEBOSH heard of databases to draw information quickly.

There are two offers from NEBOSH,where you can appeal: for £10 you can get additional information, but after paying this all I got was my percentage mark yet again , my name ,address, and enrolment number which might I hasten to add where all on my failure form - whatis the use of this?

The second option: for £60 you can have your sheet re-marked, however ask any Training Provider and they will not reccomend this as they state that they have never known there to be any change - encouraging or what

On asking the Training Provider if they could not assist, there answer is NEBOSH will not provide them with any details, so how does the provider, provide feedback to the learner?

The answer is go on another refresher course for £500 before the exam.
Yes ok sounds a good idea, but when asked how are you going to show me what I am weak on or what I am good at the blank stares come into play.

After endless phone calls to NEBOSH and been fobbed off to different personel, with lame excuses where do you go next?

I phoned NEBOSH up again stating that surely under the Data Protection Act(my personel information)I had a right to see a least a photostat of my marked exam sheet, this would at least show me where I was going wrong - but again the excuses are unbelievable- do you realise how much effort it would take to send this information out, wait a minute most Training Providers sell there selves with quotes like 90-100% pass rates surely not that many fail.

As a freelance Trainer and Trainer for my current Company I have concerns that there is something terribly wrong here.

As a Trainer I know how important it is to provide and recieve feedback, my Training Certs costantly reference to this, I was also taught that all individuals must be treated differently(equal oppertunities, discrimination)yet NEBOSH again expect that all Individuls can write constantly for three hours(Theory)irrespective of educational background.

If a question is classed as a 40 mark question my provider states that NEBOSH would expect at least four pages, and for a 8 point question at least one page this again equates to 3 questions of 40 marks=12sheets +12questions of 8marks=12sheets, therefore 24 sheets of written paper in 3 hrs,on top of this you can be penalised if writing is not of a good standard.

Whilst being told to read the questions a couple of times to understand them this equates to time lost.

Why is are only three hours given, what is the reason of putting learners under this pressure, when surely as advisors we need to ensure that info is correct before producing.

Surely NEBOSH must see on exam papers that the writing becomes poor as the time goes by, this means not enough time, not answering in the logical sequence you start of at, rushing, under pressure etc.

I know that out of fifthteen of the persons taking the current course they have all stated the same concerns, this has not changed since I achieved my NEBOSH Cert six years ago.

Why on the Construction Cert if you have passed the practical exams with flying colours should you have to resit this part again if failing the Theory side?
Why are not Computers offered for those who cannot put pen to paper quickly or greatly?

Why are NEBOSH so reluctant to provide feedback? why are not Training Providers demanding a photostat of exam papers as a service to learners who fail?
Even in adriving test that has so many failures a written as well as a discussion is provided.

NEBOSHs excuses are pathetic,unjust and do not warrant the monies spent on their courses until this is rectified.

By the way the £500 that the Training Provider wanted from me to provide 3days of additional learning(that they did not know, which areas I needed to improve)and a re-exam fee was slashed after speaking to the director of how his trainer was going to assist me further when he did not know where I had gone wrong,provision of a mock exam, a days feedback questioning session,and re-exam for the price of £65.

For this I am thankful to the Training Provider, who understands the dilema but states that they can not do anything about the methods of NEBOSH Exams.

Whilst this is a poor answer, at least they have tryed to soften the blow.

To those who are about to go on a NEBOSH Course this message should be taken into account, and for those who have to resit it could be worth mentioning this to your Training Provider when refresher coures are offered for ex amount of money.

Lets be honest you can do the same revising at home if they cannot tell you where you have gone wrong.

Whilst I will persue this course until achieved, I for one will never invest in another course until their attitude changes

Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2004 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Steve

You are obviously raw with your disappointment.

However, I have to offer an alternative view. I have studied for four NEBOSH qualifications, and have always found NEBOSH to be fair and consistent.

Now I am involved with NEBOSH as an examiner, I realise how stringent their procedures are. Although many training providers may say that marks will not be changed if papers are remarked due to NEBOSH not wanting to admit they got it wrong, it is invariably because they were marked correctly in the first place.

I really think you should take issue with your training provider rather than NEBOSH. Yes, the exams are tough (isn't anything that is worth doing?), but if providers prepare candidates properly, they are certainly not impossible.

Kind regards

Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2004 15:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey
I would agree with Nick, although I know that we have both gone through the same NEBOSH Exam process with the same training provider.

The marking processes are very well set out and the time scale and exam environment is exactly the same as that used by many other professional qualification award bodies.

If you know what you wrote in the exam, your training provider should be able to offer you constructive feedback on why you did not pass.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2004 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
The training provider also should have provided you with all the relevant information regarding the examination process, appeals etc.

The British Safety Council Awards website :-

http://www.bscawards.org

gives all the relevant information about all British Safety Council Awards that have an examiination. (yes, it is multiple choice--please do not start the age old arguments about the pro and cons of multiple choice versus short answers or essay type answers!)

The point I am making is that it should be made very clear to candidates from the outset, even before enrolling for the course, about the examinations & the review/appeals process if any exist. It is possible that some training providers are not upfront about this. Ideally, the better training providers would have gone through some past papers and given you a taste of what to expect.

Preparing and appearing for examinations requires practice, especially if candidates are not used that particular method of assessment. The better training providers would clarify this from the outset, before you enroll.

Perhaps this is one area that the awarding bodies should improve upon and have better monitoring of their training providers to ensure that information is given upfront, before enrolling for the course.

Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2004 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham
Nebosh are only following common practice among academic institutions here. In all the many exams I have sat over the years and recently with different institutions, it has never been possible to get the marked script back. The reason it would be impractical to offer this isn't so much the time to post them off - it is dealing with the detailed arguments examinees would then bring about how they should have had another mark here and another one there - I can truly see why they don't want to go down that road.

Having just sat Dip 1, I believe I know which questions I answered poorly and which ones well and if I have to resit that is what my revision will be based on.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2004 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Maybe NEBOSH should publish league tables, so we all know which are the excellent institutions with high pass rates, and which are the poorly performing ones.

Karen
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2004 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Vickers
As the Chief Executive of NEBOSH, I feel it incumbent to help Steve out with regard to his concerns about the rights and duties of exam boards (awarding bodies).

I am sorry that he considers that the post-exam feedback he received is insufficient. NEBOSH operates solely on its income from examination fees, etc. If we were to ask our examiners to write a detailed report on the work of every candidate as a matter of course we should have to pay them a great deal more, and the exam fees would be very much higher.

Steve is disappointed at the amount of feedback we provide to candidates who enquire about their results. Our policies with regard to post-exam services are in line with those of most awarding bodies, we are regulated by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority and obey its rules. When Steve took his schools exams, had he enquired about any results he would have received a brief review of his script, nor a detailed one. We do however have this policy constantly under review, and amend it from time to time to keep in line with best practice.

I think that Steve has been misinformed if he has been told that data protection legislation requires us to return exam scripts to candidates. DP laws relate to information kept on computers, etc. There was a QCA experiment in 1999 which found that few candidates wanted their scripts back; as a then QCA employee I worked on this project.

I wholly concur with Steve's views on two points, and we are taking action on these. Firstly, he is right that the old syllabus for the Construction Certificate required anyone failing a single paper to retake then all. I'm glad to say that the new syllabus allows a candidate to bank papers in which (s)he has been successful and to retake only the others. Secondly, in response to the Disability Discrimination Act we are happy to respond positively to requests from providers for the use of spellcheckers etc, where the candidate has some disability to which a spellchecker would constitute a "reasonable adjustment"; this approach is in accord with QCA rules.

Some of the subsequent postings have raised our accreditation policy. We take concerns raised about providers very seriously, and investigation usually involves a visit and may in extreme cases result in loss of accreditation. It may not always be obvious to candidates what we are doing, because we owe the provider an element of confidentiality.

Stephen

Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 June 2004 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Parry
I have had a similar problem with "NEBOSH" speak as well as the whole way they do their assignments and exams. When you have a problem its never anything to do with NEBOSH, they always sit on the fence !.
Unlike an engineering, english or other exams Safety is different. Time means nothing !! it getting it right first time that matters and the exam should reflect this as well as allowing people to write their interpretation and not parrot fashion like NEBOSH require.
As I have found out passing a NEBOSH exam is hard but even so it DOES NOT equate to competancy or common sence thats why so many people do the NVQ4.

Paul

PS. Dont ever try and get your exam results if you fail an assignment NEBOSH will not tell you ?? even if you pay your £10 to find out ! Why ? well its because they use a clause in their conditions that we sign as accepting (did we have a choice ?)
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 June 2004 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
Stephen

I don't agree with a number of the opinions put forward by Steve or his method of complaint.

However I would like to take further your statement:

'It may not always be obvious to candidates what we are doing, because we owe the provider an element of confidentiality.'

I write as an experienced H&S Practitioner and NEBOSH examiner to say I see different standards on examination papers which reflect directly on the different training suppliers.

Question 1. Once the fact is recognised that different standards exist why is it not reasonable to provide this information to people wishing to avail themselves of training - to allow them to make an informed judgement?

Question 2. If trading is judged to be sub-standard (or whatever name you want to put on it) then why does NEBOSH owe a duty of confidentiality?

Geoff Burt

Admin  
#10 Posted : 14 June 2004 12:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham
I don't understand Paul's points. Yes we did have a choice.

Safety is no different from science and engineering. In all them, you want to get it right first time and there are also time constraints. Science and engineering exams also have tight time limits. This prevents us waffling on about everything we know in hopes that some of it will be considered relevant. It is important to spend a lot of time practising exams especially if you are not used to them or not temperamentally suited to them.

It would be great to have a job where you had all the time in the world and never had to answer anything on the spot; but this is no more likely to happen in safety than in any other profession.

If safety professionals want to be taken as seriously as, say, chartered engineers, then they need to face the same rigour of assessment.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 14 June 2004 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
Kate, do you think that persons who don't have the NEBOSH Diploma or non examined under strict timescales cannot be taken seriously.

Whats your view on the NVQ which is non examined for example ?

Admin  
#12 Posted : 14 June 2004 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pat Burns MIOSH - SpDipEM - AMIQA
Like Steve I was very dissappointed when I failed my Diploma Part 2. I was re-advised of the methods of appeal to NEBOSH but was pre-warned by the tutor that it would be a waste of time effort and money. I was already committed to the Environmental Diploma when I got my dip 2 result but decided to go for the next exam. I didn't commit myself to any further training prior to the date but just got my head into the books again and re-examined myself. It worked so well I got a credit and passed my environmental diploma all in the one week.

With respect to allowances I suffer quite badly from the symptoms of vibration white finger. I spoke with my tutor on this matter and he advised me to make a submission to NEBOSH with a copy of my medical condition. I did this and I was awarded extra time due to my disability which verifies to me that NEBOSH are willing to make individual judgements if pre-warned.

Steve it's hard to take the fall but we are all different and my only advice to you is to concentrate in getting your head back into the books and revisiting each section thoroughly before re-sitting your exam.
Here's hoping!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 14 June 2004 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham
For the record, Peter, I don't think a non-examined qualification such as an NVQ is any less respectable than an examined one and in fact it was one of the options I had in mind when I said we had a choice whether to agree to Nebosh terms and conditions.

Some people perform well in exams, others don't even though they may have the same level of knowledge. But if you set out to get a qualification that is assessed by exam then you have to be prepared to sit an exam under normal exam conditions (disabilities excepted of course). If it's not assessed by exam then it has to be assessed in some different but also rigorous way.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 14 June 2004 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
Steve,

I am sorry to hear that you failed the exam, I have utmost sympathy as I have managed to fail exams left, right and centre. For me it is not the knowledge base that is deficient but the exam situation that causes the problem - I took the NEBOSH Cert and passed but chickened out of the NEBOSH Dip and elected for the NVQ4 purely because there was no exam.

In a case like this sometimes it is not worth the pursuit - you could cut your losses, eliminate the issue of refailure (and the pressure that goes with it) and go down the NVQ4 or 5 route instead. You obviously have the knowledge base and determination - you could finish this in a year.

I know that failing exams at which you have worked very hard is disappointing but you sound very stressed about it - as long as you still have a job and you can take either this, or a different route again, then you are actually in a fortunate position and you should count your blessings rather that get worked up over something that cannot, now, be changed. Bureacracy and rules are annoying for the individual but necessary for the masses - all the examining boards have similar rules and you wouldn't get much change out of any of them so NEBOSH does not stand alone in this.

I hope that you find a route that, perhaps, suits you better and next time you pass.

Hilary
Admin  
#15 Posted : 14 June 2004 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Egan
Steve
Having gone through similar experiences under the old NEBOSH exam regime, I understand your plight and would agree with other commentators comments about the sometimes poor quality of teaching and support.

But these are necessarily tough tests of both knowledge and problem solving skills. What is the real pity, is that it is not generally recognised in the wider world what a high level of achievement there is in gaining a DipOSH. If it was, perhaps we would be enjoying the rewards!
Nick
Admin  
#16 Posted : 14 June 2004 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Kinnison
Following on from Kate's comments. As an examiner on science for degree level students my University has to divulge marked scripts if requested by a student with a grievance/unhappy with their mark. I cannot understand why Nebosh cannot do this. In my case marked scripts are verified by an external examiner and scripts remain available up to a year after graduation.

I note Hilary's suggestion but I doubt Steve will want to exercise the NVQ route without first exhausting efforts for some satisfaction from Nebosh. True, with the Nebosh knowledge the NVQ could possibily achieved in 12 months.

As a thought isn't it about time Nebosh considered open book examinations? Memory recall and quoting legislation verbatim is totally behind the times. Surely, as practioners faced with numerous problems in the workplace, the application of the knowledge needs to be examined and not necessarily the knowledge itself?
Admin  
#17 Posted : 15 June 2004 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J.
Like others I would express sympathy with your failed exam. Being one of those lucky people with a knack for passing exams I have never had to face the problem of failure. at school college, university or indeed NEBOSH exams. However it has been my experience on both the certificate and diploma course, taught by a private provider and a well respected university respectfully, that the standard and quality of tuition was to say the least poor. Thus in effect I and my fellow students felt to a man and woman that it was really down to us to buckle down and study the material, books etc. and pass the various module exams. Points: the institution really needs to get out there and hammer poor tuition from which ever source for a variety of reasons not least because of the high cost of safety training relative to any other similar level qualifications. With the basic certificate, in my view being excessively priced, the training companies little tricks of extra tuition etc add considerably to this cost as illustrated in the thread. But for me, sorry guys and girls, it really is down to you to buckle down study and prepare for the exams. I always have. hence my good exam knack!!!!!

Like others i would express sympathy with your failed exam. Being one of thos lucky people with a knack for passing exams i have never had to face the problem of failure. at school colege, university or indeed NEBOSH exams. However it has been my experience on both the certificate and diploma certificate, taught by a privateprovider and a well respected university respectufully, that the standard and quality of tuition was to say the least poor. Thus in effect I an my fellow students felt to a man and woman that it was really down to us to buckle down and study the material, books etc. and pass the various module exams. Points: the institution really need to get out there and hammer poor tuition from which ever source for a variety of reasons not least because of the high cost of safety training relative to any other similar level qualifications. With the basic certificate in my view being excessively priced, the training companies littkle tricks of extra tuition etc add considerably to this as exambled in the thread. But for me, sorry guys and girls, it really is down to your self to buckle down study and prepare for the exams. I always have..hence my good exam technique!!!!!
Admin  
#18 Posted : 15 June 2004 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
David,

Really surprised that you managed to finish exams, never mind passing them, when you appear to write the same thing twice...
Admin  
#19 Posted : 15 June 2004 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
David,

Really surprised that you managed to finish exams, never mind passing them, when you appear to write the same thing twice...
Admin  
#20 Posted : 15 June 2004 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
And that's the end of that reasonable discussion.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 15 June 2004 21:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke
Hi

On the positive side, any assignments you have undertaken will contribute towards "knowledge evidence" for an NVQ if you did opt to go that way.

Linda
Admin  
#22 Posted : 16 June 2004 08:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
Steve,

I know where you are coming from, when I sat my NEBOSH Cert nearly 4 years ago, I thought I did really well and speaking to a couple of other people who took the exam with me (We did it as a part of our Resettlement to leave The Army)we looked as though we were all singing off the same song sheet, alas no, I did pass but however I was bitterly dissapointed with my result I asked for some feedback from NEBOSH(Being a Training Manager in my last post in the Army and being a Trainer for 15 years I thought it was not too much to ask but alas)I received the same weak willed excuses that you did.

Why must anyone have to have a Crystal Ball to understand what NEBOSH want....

I will never put myself through this again, I have just finished my NVQ Level 4 in just under 12 months and I will be undertaking level 5 within the year.

Steve if I were you I would most definitely go down the NVQ route all the best.

Aye,

Rod
Admin  
#23 Posted : 16 June 2004 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J.
Hi, ooops, must have coppied 2 times..anyway said i was good at exams..not with PC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Admin  
#24 Posted : 17 June 2004 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Derek Rooney MIOSH MIIRSM
Steve

I agree & disagree with you, when i first got into safety 5 years ago i was told the best place to start was the NEBOSH certificate. However as this is a general qualification and prodominately based on construction i found this extremely difficult subsequently passed the practical with flying colors but failed miserable in the Management paper (yes 1 paper) which meant i had to do it all again - i eventualy passed and went on and wanted to do the diploma however i wasn't satisfied that i had to re-take all exams because of one paper and i also didn;t get the feedback i wanted so i opted for the BSC diploma although i don;t think it was nearly as tough as what the NEBOSH one would have been.

I HATE exam situations, so have went on and done the NVQ 4 & 5 and thought these were brilliant. No pressure, just taking note of everything that you do on a daily basis and recording this in the format they require. EASY.

So my advice would be to re-sit the exam, if you fail again - do the NVQ
Admin  
#25 Posted : 17 June 2004 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pollington
Steve

I think you are an ideal candidate for using a laptop/computer when resitting your exam - you have written so much - you can if you have a valid reason, or if you are dyslexic someone can write for you.

By the way whoever told you to write x amount of pages depending on the marks of the question is rubbish.

Get it down to concise bullet points, be direct go straight to the point. Highlight key words. That is what will get you through the exam.

Good luck for next time, believe me once you have got the exam technique you will sail through NEBOSH papers.
Admin  
#26 Posted : 17 June 2004 19:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Steve

I agree with Pollington that it doesn't matter how much you write - I mark for Diploma and you can get many marks for a couple of paragraphs if they are loaded with key facts. Conversely, you can get nothing for 3 pages if it is tripe.

Be careful of bullet-points though, if the question asks for an "outline" or "explanation", this will limit your marks for simple bullet points.

Regards

Nick
Admin  
#27 Posted : 17 June 2004 21:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE
First of all can I thank everyone who has contributed to this discussion, whilst writing the first post I was not sure that this was the route to get rid of my frustration, yet after reading comments it has helped me realise that there are issues to be adressed within the NEBOSH Qualifications.

Steve Vickers states that NEBOSH operates solely on the income from exam fees etc. and it would mean putting additional costs on these fees in order to ask an examiner to write a detailed report, then why not offer this service and do away with the pretend service of appeal.
If the oppertunity was given then I am sure most of us who fail these Certs would be happy to contribute a fee towards knowing where we had gone wrong.

I am sure that those who pass these Certs would not want this service so the numbers would be greatly reduced as I previously mentioned most Training Providers are quoting 90-100% pass marks.

So now that I have Steves attention maybe he can answer a few of the questions that I tried to get information on from of NEBOSH

1. Who dictates the time period that should be alloted to candidates for answering the THEORY related exam? and what is the purpose of this additional pressure if we are not stereotyping all candidates ?
2.If NEBOSH cannot find the time to provide feedback reports to persons whom have failed due to time /cost restraints cannot a photostat of the candidates exam sheets be sent to the Training Provider in order that they can offer some support and not feel embarrased by not being able to give answers
3. I quoted x amount of written pages for some exam questions, yet some of NEBOSHs Examiners on this site state that that is not the case, which is correct? because either the Examiners are getting it wrong or the Training Providers are, so again no wonder the candidate struggles.
4. Why are NEBOSH so hung up on the NEBOSH SPEAK - DEFINE, EXPLAIN, DESCRIBE, STATE etc the amount of persons who cannot get to grip with this is unbelievable
5.How long are failed candidates exam sheets stored for, and what is the purpose of storing if they are not going to be utilised.
6. If Training Providers are to be accredited by NEBOSH as part of this accreditation are the Training Providers asked to provide evidence of their Trainers Teaching Qualifications? as we all know many Training Providers offer training services yet the person teaching has no teaching experience or teaching qualification and are reliant solely of their specialist knowledge, is this why some Providers are better than others.

I know persons are going to say why dont I just let it go, but if I do the next generation of NEBOSH Candidates will ask the same questions, so maybe know we have Steve Vickers attention maybe he will try and utilise this information at his next Review Meeting.
By the way Steve it would be interesting to know the answers to Geoff Burts questions.

Again thank you for all responses, positive and negative and as my wife always says" Its good to talk"
Admin  
#28 Posted : 17 June 2004 21:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
Stephen

You put a point of view up in response to the original contribution and I responded to that view. I would have expected in the interests of this debate for you to have replied/answered my queries.

Alternatively you posted a statement in response to the original contribution and I should not expect a response.

Which one is it?

Geoff Burt
Admin  
#29 Posted : 18 June 2004 12:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods
The moral is if possible go to a FE college rather than a commercial training provider. They have to meet FENTO and similar standards, for which they are regularly inspected. To meet these standards they have to have a policy of providing monitoring and adequate feedback of a student’s progress. Part of the standards measures pass rate and student retention, which means that the college has a vested interest in keeping student on board and achieving a high pass rate. Plus the fees tend to be a lot cheaper.

My understanding is that under the data protection act for £15 you can request copies of any information that a company has regarding you including CCTV footage. I don’t think you can sign away these rights.
Admin  
#30 Posted : 18 June 2004 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Just to chuck my tuppence in!

Reading this thread I would like to profer some advice to those aspiring safety professionals.

This is a complex/ varied and interesting profession and would you seriously offer a job to a person as a 'safety advisor' who has failed a two week safety course (NEBOSH Cert suggest not.

NEBOSH Exams are of degree standard and if you do not have the expereience / underpinning knowledge as well as the theorhetical / academic knowledge then you will find it very difficult to pass these exams, they are not easy! quite e few people who take these exams are not used to the exam technique and this is very obvious in quite a few cases.

I would suggest very strongly to get the examiners reports from previous exams and set yourself the question answer it and then compare to what the examiner is looking for, its no use doing the mock exams if you do not know what is required in the answer as your training provider may be talking out of his bahookie!

Has the trainer actually sat these exams themselves or have they been 'training' for 15 years and not doing the job!

You will find that the best trainers who regularily get good results are the most expensive and precisely for that reson they get results!

All trainers will know exactly how their students got on in the exams so ask them what their success rate is? pay peanuts etc!

I was lucky in that my employer paid for mine (Old NEBOSH Dip)and the training establishment was excellent, I passed all the exams and the case study in the same week, hard graft, selective studying and excellent directed revision of past papers and exam technique did the trick.

I honestly believe that if you are starting off from scratch whith no knowledge of safety it should take you an average of 8 years to get the magic RSP status if you pass the exams fisrt time every time.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 20 June 2004 20:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Steve

AlthoughI never taken a NEBOSH exam (NVQ 3 and MSc) I find the whole process absurd. I may be a sceptic but I have always been wary of those bodies who are not accountable to anyone. Clearly with a number of other routes available NEBOSH need to get their act together, otherwisw people wil be voting with their feet.

The NEBOSH exams are very costly, no suggesting that they are not value for money, but nevertheless not to provide any feedback is in my opinion unacceptable. As one person has already suggested, marking of papers should automatically incorporate some feedback whether you pass or fail.

Regards

Ray
Admin  
#32 Posted : 20 June 2004 23:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
I am quite disapointed in Steves treatment from NEBOSH as I am doing the DIP 2 through distance learning and suspect that like so many I will not pass it the first time around. I was prepared to accept this as when taking up this course I was under the impression I would get some feedback on my week points so as I could concentrate upon them the second time around. Even if it was just the questions that I scored poorly on, this would give me a clue as to what went wrong.

I am terrible at handwriting/spelling and left school with no accademic qualifcations at all. (started work at 15) that said I have passed the cert and dip 1 first time around.

Why?

Well I think it was the tuition I recived and the fact that we formed a little revision group which helped me no end. Unfortuantly I have chosen to work alone on this one and will seek advice through the study support forum.

What is getting a bit tiresome is the NEBOSH bashing going on at the moment which I feel is a little bit uncalled for.

Thats why I am in favour of the new CPD requirements proposed by IOSH.

I have a basic theory and some but little practice, well I had better get of my a** and get some practice then had'nt I.

The same goes for the NVQ route who often get accused of having it too easy, well if this was the case they had better dig into some books now then hadn't they.

And again for the Post grads who can sometimes miss a lecture or pick certain element out of a course.

Each routes will have its downfalls and none can really be considered better than the other in reality. Maybe one day there will be a course that combines the best elements out of the three routes that can be done whilst at work weather or not invoved in a safety job (think not).

Untill that day comes we all should just carry on with what suits our needs and at least all aggree to stop bickering about each qualification as this will only drop payscales further and further.

Enough said

Jason

Admin  
#33 Posted : 21 June 2004 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Raymond

Where have you got the notion that NEBOSH are not accountable to anyone?

As Stephen pointed out, NEBOSH are regulated by the QCA and obey their rules to maintain accreditation.

I have never taken an NVQ, so taking my lack of knowledge on the subject into account, would not make sweeping statements about their quality (or lack of). Perhaps you should do the same?

Nick
Admin  
#34 Posted : 24 June 2004 19:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE
Interesting how varied the points of view are on this subject, what it does show is that we can all learn from feedback.

Nick why are you getting so stressed when others are only giving their opinions, yes we know that your an Nebosh Examiner and you feel that you have to fight the cause, but please let others have their say.

If one of your employees asks a question of where they went wrong(incident/accident or training exam) would you not provide feedback or would you just tell them better luck next time.

I have noticed that Steve Vickers hasnt responded to my second message on the old discussion or Geoffs for that matter, maybe hes following the Nebosh protocol if candidates ask to much, provide minimal response and hope they go away.

Feedback is essential in all aspects of life in order to evaluate, once evaluated only then can you know if changes need to occur,as in my case am I doing to much or not enough, am I going down the wrong route when answering questions.

This is a discussion forum where none of us should feel ashamed to either learn or voice our views.
Admin  
#35 Posted : 24 June 2004 21:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
I didn't expect him to respond Steve. A statement has been made and that's it folks -take it or leave it.