Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2004 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
We have some staff who will be teaching some ex offenders in an office. They are completing a risk assessment but this issue has been raised:

They will be teaching some sex offenders, they have been advised by the probation office to make sure they are not in the teaching rooms when there is no reception cover, as the room has CCTV.

What other controls do people think need to be out in place to protect our staff??

Thanks

Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2004 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
Get the probation office(r) to provide you with risk info, as it appears that you are accepting alot of risk issues
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2004 20:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Cook
Ian

I have been working with all types of offenders for quite a number of years now.

You don't say exactly what type of ex-offender (as they can cover a wide range of behaviours, which in itself presents differing risks)or how many at any one time they will be working with.

However in general terms you will need to emphasise to staff to adopt a slightly different way of thinking when dealing with this type of offender.Is it possible to get as much information on each of the idividuals as possible to allow you to dynamically risk assess i.e. is it "safe" to run a session with one instructor or would two be better.

Staff should think about "escape" route i.e. are the offenders between them and the door, are there any other obstruction which could make it difficult to get to and out of the door.Can the room layout be changed to accommodate the needs of the instructor in relation to their safety.

Is there any other way to summon assistance if necessary e.g. personal alarm as depending on cctv coverage is not always a good idea. Many organisations who use cctv for security now use blank screen technology which only comes on should something happen as the viewer tends to "switch" off after a while.

Can viewing windows be inserted into doors to allow casual observation into the room and is it possible to have them opening out insted of in to prevent access being blocked.

Can you provide staff with basic self-defence and breakaway techniques.

Remind staff not to give out any personal information about themselves, many of this group of offenders are very manipulative and the slightest bit of information can be used to gain more and so on.

Staff should dress "conservatively" as it it is possible that some in this particular group may see it as an "invitation".

I'm sorry if this may seem a bit extreme or alarmist but too often I have seen professional people put themselves at risk from all types of offenders which would not have occurred if common sense had been used.

If there is any other way in which I can help please feel free to e-mail me.

John