Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2004 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods
Can anyone provide information on 1960’s legislation regarding noise, in particular safety health and welfare booklet 25. 1963 “Noise and the Worker"?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2004 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel
Noise and the Worker was a Department of Employment publication which set out for the first time in a widely available Government publication the fact that noise caused deafness and could and should be controlled. Measures recommended included quieting noisy machinery and wearing earplugs, including at the time I think wax plugs, as the science was in its infancy. I no longer have a copy.

There was no specific legislation at the time nor indeed prior to the current Regulations.

1963 is as a result taken as the "date of knowledge" at which employers ought to have been aware of noise and the need to take action, although in the then Austin Motor Company, the work of my colleague Gerry Lee (BOHS President for a time) in the early 1960s' to measure noise at Longbridge resulted in settlements of claims preceding this date within this factory. A noise meter at that time was mounted on a tea trolley and powered by a 12v car battery and mains inverter on the bottom shelf. I recall the photograph well!

Regards

Dave Daniel
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2004 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods
Dave,
Thanks for the reply the information was useful, enlightening and amusing.

Bob