Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2004 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Broomfield
We are a private boarding school and i've just been informed that one of the parents is collecting their children by helicopter on thursday, has anyone any advice on a risk assessment for this. I've already adviced against the landing but been overuled by those that know better!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2004 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J
I would have thought that some one should be available / trained to use a powder or other fire extinguisher, and probably trained in marshaling the craft to its place of rest.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2004 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts
Have to agree with the marshalling of craft into a designated marked landing area with suitable barriers (that may mean further marshalls or crowd barriers) to ensure persons on the ground are protected.

I would hesitate at fire extinguishers because the amount needed for aviation fuel could be immense. In addition would you stand a person in a potentially explosive situation with inadequate fire protection, PPE etc.

Always advocate the safest alternative (for the school) pick them up in a road vehicle.

Lew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2004 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi1
Contact the Civil Aviation Authority

http://www.caa.co.uk

Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2004 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Decide what safety measures are required to do this safely and bill them for this, charge a landing fee!

Also does your school have the PI insurance to cover this as it is not an emergency, what if something went wrong!! who will pick up the tab?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2004 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
David,

A few thoughts:

Is there a particular reason why the child has to be collected by helicopter?

What I am saying is, is there a particular threat to the child or the parents if they go by road, e.g. kidnap?

Is this a special occasion or is it likely to become a regular occurrence?

Karen
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2004 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Skipper Kendrick, CSP
David:

I have some information that might be of use in dealing with your helicopter safety issue. I have a helicopter safety training presentation that can be made available at no cost. All that is needed is your email address and then I can forward it to you.

Skipper Kendrick
Manager, Industrial Safety & Hygiene
Bell Helicopter
skendrick@bellhelicopter.textron.com

Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 June 2004 20:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
David

Your concerns are understandable, but do bear in mind that the pilot has a much greater vested interest in a "full and proper" risk assessment than you have, particularly if he/she is a professional i.e. does it full time for a living!

He/she will ahve done this many times before, and will have to follow a strict procedure.

As already mentioned increased or extra fire cover, ideally with professional advice, and make sure the site is secure, and free of litter and loose bits - choppers can suck up quite heavy things. Polythene in particular is a big hazard for helicopters.

Hearing protection is must for anyone in the course of their employment - unless you've been in close proximity to a helicopter you've no idea of the noise levels, particular since it is pulsating pressure waves. Bear in mind that the tips of helicopter rotor blades are frequently travelling at Mach 1 (not many people know that!).

When I did my Noise Assessment certificate I had to take a reading inside a helicopter cabin. Unfortunately I couldn't, as the reading was off the scale, at ground idle, using a meter designed for use with aircraft!

Laurie

Admin  
#9 Posted : 15 June 2004 21:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Broomfield
Thanks for all the response's the've been helpful. The reason for being picked up from school in this manor appears to be good old fashioned showing off, can't wait for the other children to try and better it!!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 15 June 2004 23:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA
Hello David..
We land at schools probably every week day in a Helicopter the same size as a 52 seater coach, during public relation schools visits!! The difference being we are obviously the military and operate large medium lift Seaking helicopters. The area has been 'reeced'(SP?) by trained personnel who are trained to identify the following........the approach ie no wires, loose slates on house roofs/buildings, undulating terrain, wind directions (always land into wind) the escape route should you sustain engine failure during approach, birds.. (Has the neighbour a small sanctuary!!).. the areas that would be safe should the pilot 'cock it up!!!' The noise under our disc is 125dba. Areas that may look fine from the air do not always look that good at 25ft, with the added pressure of low power margins that some private helos have, ie Robinson 22! It is a brave man that puts all these variables together just to ensure that Tarquine or Peaches mates get to know that Daddy owns a Helo. We have teams of trained experts that get it wrong leading to incidents... and we consider ourselves to be experts in the field of aviation. Ask the Head … ‘who will win by letting him do it? (Daddy?) … Then ….‘Who will lose should it ‘not go to plan?’ (quite a few I expect!)
Regards Paul
Admin  
#11 Posted : 16 June 2004 07:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
In response to PaulA,

Hi Paul,

What part of the military are you from?

Army Air Corp, RAF, Navy?

I suppose the large helicopters you are speaking about are Chinooks?

It must be really interesting, are you a Pilot?

Aye,

Rod D
Admin  
#12 Posted : 16 June 2004 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Jones
You could insist that the owner of the helecopter sends a ground crew to recce the site and submit a detailed risk assesment. Also you could insist that they provide a landing crew with the correct emergency equipment.
And a copy of their insurance.
Hope this is usefull.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 16 June 2004 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Let's hope that it doesn't frighten any farmer's cattle nearby which die, or have spontaneous abortions, and the farmers claim compensation.

Yes, really. There has been a huge amount of money paid out in compensation to farmers in N. Ireland that claim their beasts were "scared to death" etc. by military helicopters!!!

See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/...hern_ireland/1935783.stm

Karen
Admin  
#14 Posted : 16 June 2004 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald
David

Out of curiosity, what are your grounds for advising against the landing, and what are your competencies in making that decision.

I'm sure with a little organisation this can be done perfectly safely. Just because it is outside your own normal experience doesn't mean it should not be done.

Why are you not asking for advice on how it can be done safely so you'll have the experience next time.

I'm sure the kids will enjoy the excitement for the ten minutes the whole episode will take.

Picking the kids up by car is statistically far more dangerous but you seem to accept that risk with no problem.

Peter

Admin  
#15 Posted : 17 June 2004 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA
Dear Rod...
Senior Service... the Royal Navy!!! Seaking Helicopters.
Regards Paul