Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2004 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frin G Check it out... Maybe Bob the Builder needs a health and safety advisor? http://www.ananova.com/e...ent/story/sm_490448.html Any takers?!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2004 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams Clearly a failing on the part of the broadcasting company to manage sub contractors in public view!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2004 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy What age group is the Aussie officialdom targeting. They are all valid points, but children (I must assume that they are children, hmm!) should be allowed to be just that---children-- along with responsible parential guidance. Superman lept off tall buildings,stood on a railway and halted a train etc etc. Wasnt he a hero once? Whilst they're not wrong to criticise "Our Bob", I'm sure that the targetted age group are equally not yet ready to understand the real reason for construction safety. But I suppose it is never too young to learn!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2004 15:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg. Lets hope they never watch the lawbreakers that are Bill and Ben! I mean, entering a confined space (the plant pot) without a Permit to Work in place... not to mention the possible Zoonotic implications of fraternising with Slowcoach (for those of you without any ankle biters, he's the Tortoise). Flobberdobber naughty boys! But seriously, I think there is real merit in sitting down with a plastic figure and his plastic employees to explain the breaches of safety law and the corresponding legal implications i.e. the bin. You never know if you don't try!!! I know that safety starts at an early age, and it’s very 'special' that the keen eyes in Oz have picked up on this issue…. But c’mon guys!!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 June 2004 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker On the positive side, he is well up on consultation - even checks the cement mixer knows what's happening. Anyone noticed his hands? are the lost fingers due to workplace accidents?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 June 2004 23:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By joseph byrne All professional bodies and construction companies should be targeting schools to keep children off construction sites, this can be done with talks, competitions, videos etc... of what could happen to them, we have enough injuries & deaths in construction without having our children also becoming victims. Did you know a third of all deaths in industry are in construction (approx 100 per year) but this figure only includes people who die on the site. Seemingly if you have an accident on site but die in the ambulance on the journey to hospital or in the hospital itself (time limits not included)you don't fall into the criteria of construction death and this seems also to apply to road accidents and how many other things.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 June 2004 06:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I actually did not know that. Thanks for the Info. Is there anywhere I can go on the to find what figures are actually counted and what figures are left out. Jason
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 June 2004 07:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Dear all, In these days of terrorism, people are dying on a daily basis through terrorism, the world is in constant turmoil and all the Aussie's can write about is "Bob The Builder" flaunting Health & Safety Regulations, as Brain Connelly would say "It's a Puppet"..... Get a life, get out more and watch guy's on building sites flaunting Safety Laws instead watching telly..... Aye, Rod D
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 June 2004 08:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser What a shame we seem to be trivialising the message that has been raised here - in fact, one we have raised on this very forum numerous times in the last year or so, where we have just thrown up our hands and muttered balefully in conclusion "well, what can you do?". Our Aussie cousins have just shown us. This all comes down to basic psychology. Have you never wondered why so much effort and writing in psychology focuses on childhood issues? It is because the formative years are at the start of our lives, not later on. When we try to modify the behaviours of adults, we are trying to change patterns that have formed and been reinforced during childhood. So much effort, so little gain. How much better then that we teach our children what are acceptable and more importantly unacceptable behaviours, so they will carry these social principles forward. There will be an inevitable outcry here about freedom of choice and the dangers of brainwashing. I am very much a libertarian, but I also believe that we need a stable and peaceful society in which to exercise our freedoms of choice and that these choices are to be based on sound knowledge and facts. Is it acceptable to choose to drink and then drive? Is is acceptable to choose to work on a roof with no fall arrest equipment or safeguards? Is it acceptable to choose to work with dangerous chemicals without adequate safety provisions in place such as safe systems of work based on appropriate risk asessment? If you believe so, then what are you doing working as a safety professional? Our children learn how to operate and function in society much more from what they see and experience than what they hear. So do adults, by the way! What harm is there in getting Bob to wear his seatbelt - or have an accident while not wearing it and rue the errors of his ways? Are these programmes not supposed to be educational as well as entertainment? IS this a good educational message? I have long been an advocate of getting them when they are young - good behaviour is learned, not innate. It is not until later that we can adequately explain why good behaviour benefits us all as a society, even if sometimes we need to sacrifice time and effort to achieve it. Think of the time we could all save if we were pushing against an open door rather than having special interests forcibly shoving it closed all the time. What has been done in the past is past - what is the point in bringing that up? What we do now will sow the seeds for the future - what better objective could we aspire towards? After all, is our goal not to achieve zero incidents through an effective safety culture? Then again, as Hegel once said, "We learn from history that we do not learn from history"!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2004 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan At last we are getting to the nitty gritty and away from sniping and back biting about how well (or not) colleagues can and do spell. The agricultural industry competes regularly with construction for the UK's number one slot in the annual slaughter tables. Many of the victims in both industries are children. In agriculture many serious incidents involve or are caused by other members of the victims family. I too have spent most of my life trying to get various sections of the media to pay attention to the underlying message they put across to our most vulnerable and impressionable age group. When you see children "enjoying" a ride on top of a pile of hay bales being pulled by a tractor in the Teletubbies and wandering through gates without closing them after themselves you begin to realise what is really wrong with society and why we struggle to improve standards and reduce accidents. Of course it is important to get the message across to the younger generation. Only when our children are empowered to be able to point out to adults the errors of their ways will we see a reduction in people using mobile phones whilst driving, driving recklessly, not wearing protective equipment etc etc. Without doubt Bob The Builder and the rest should be seen wearing the correct attire and working safely. This could even extend to putting on his factor 35 before going out into the sun. Whatever it takes is worth the cost. It is us who will reap the benefits in the end.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 June 2004 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy Who's "Hagel"---and would it make matters any better if "Bob" had an "inducted" sticker on his hard hat?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 22 June 2004 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Does anyone else out there see that some of us are our own worst enemies. One reason that Jeremy Clarkson has such a large audience is his attacks on the "anorak" Safety Advisor i.e. someone who has no sense of humour, is rules/law/rules/law oriented, who wishes to ban just about every possible hazard (what about climbing frame's) and, rather like Mary Whitehouse used to do, see something terrible in everything. Come on now, although I probably wouldn't wish to see cartoon images of kids using baler's or riding on the back's of tractors, you can take safety too far to the extent that you lose any sympathy from the very people you are trying to educate. As a result they just ignore you. Let's be pragmatic not despotic.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 22 June 2004 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Sorry but I agree with Rob - children are children - you cannot expect the television to take the place of parental responsibility. Perhaps this programme would be better if Bob put his seatbelt on attended to every health and safety issue but then it rather takes the joy out of the programme and makes it more of a public information film. How many children's programmes would not be made if we went into that much detail? Did Postman Pat always put his seatbelt on, or Fireman Sam - did they always have SCBA on the Fire Engine - what about the Fire Engine in Camberwick Green (or was it Trumpton?) where they all hang off the sides. What about Tom and Jerry - how violent is that? If anyone actually stopped and thought sensibly about this they would realise that practically NO childrens programmes, cartoons or in fact feature films would be made if one had to incorporate all the safety aspects into the film - well, they might make them but how exciting would Cliffhanger be if Sylvester Stallone was wearing a harness and lanyard? I rest my case. Hilary
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 June 2004 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller With regard to tractors and trailers, I had the benefit of a quiet weekends fly fishing on the river last Saturday. Whilst I was doing my stuff there was a tractor working hard up and down the feld all day. After packing up I was crossing the same field which was now cut and baled. The tractor was now in the next field and I was quite surprised when I noticed the driver. He was about 12 years old and lone working. Born to it I suppose and doing the job like he knows no other. I realise that farming is one of the worst industries for accidents and dodgy practices but having grown up on the farm he has had lifetime (albeit short) apprenticeship. One of my friends who studied human behaviour once said to me that attitude and personality has been formed by the age of seven. The rest is continous development On a lighter note how does anyone find time to watch Bob the Builder?
Admin  
#15 Posted : 22 June 2004 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser What is the point to a safety advisor? Is it just to create rules, then enforce them? If that is what you think, and you work in the safety profession, then you are behind the times mes amis. Safety is no longer about rules and procedures - it is a matter of culture and belief. Banning things solves little and can even create more dangerous situations that were unforeseen at the time - and bans (and laws) can be ignored or circumvented. But informed decision-making . . . that is for life. Do we do things becuase we have to . . . or because we want to? Take away the objective of zero incidents - that is a discussion for another time. But surely we all agree that our purpose is to reduce accident frquency and severity, so even if it never reaches absolute zero in perpetuity, it is at least a very rare event and even then only minor in consequence? It is seductively exciting to be involved in an accident investigation - very important job, must get to the route cause and eliminate it, no expense spared . . . all done AFTER the event. And often the same things recur anyway, despite our "best" efforts. Frustrating, time consuming and ultimately futile. In our profession, success is measured by what DOESN'T happen (i.e. accidents), not in how well we cope with it afterwards. After a while, it looks like we don't have a job because, well let's hear it, it is "common sense" anyway . . . isn't it? Where do you think this "common sense" comes from? It comes from a combination of nature & nurture. Past vision is always 20/20, but we don't seem capable of applying the lessons learned. Let me reiterate - encouraging good behaviours at the outset, at the earliest age and onwards, will not benefit us immediately - but it will improve our society in the longer term as we use a combination of information, experience and intellegence to make safe and effective choices for ourselves and others, clearly understanding the hazards and proportionality of consequences involved. No fate but the one we make. Short term fiscal-oriented thinking would ask - why do we still need to educate, train, audit if no-one is having accidents anyway? It is this mis-comprehension that leads to cuts, reduction in activity and eventually . . . accidents rise as poor habits and practices creep back in. How much easier would it be for us ALL if we and our compatriots approached ANY activity with risk perception fully and constantly active? Our eventual aim - replace checking with training, and let people work the best way they can to meet their objectives, safely. Safety is not an add-on - it is integral to everything we do. A safety person doesn't make me safe. Rule and procedures don't make me safe. Equipment doesn't make me safe. I make me safe. And if it isn't safe, I think how I can make it safe and then decide whether I want to proceed or not. Clarkson is quite right in his "attack" on the safety profession as he sees it - it is obviously the response to the controlling mentality that he has been unfortunate to experience in his trade, if not in others. The general tendency of public organisations especially to over-react and over-prescribe is legendary and the frequent object of ridicule. And well deserved too. Treating adults like children is offensive and counter-productive. People follow and apply principles and procedures much better if they understand the 'why', not just the 'what'. I do things safely because I understand the principles of hazard and risk - planning and preparation, good knowledge and proper equipment. I choose to hold hand-rails on stairs because I feel safer that way - not because someone told me to. All I want to do is teach people the same principles and let them decide FOR THEMSELVES the best way to assure their own safety. People don't want to be injured or killed at work. Yet they still do and for why? Because we have failed to adequately educte them in effective risk perception. I come back to an old favourite of mine - extreme sports. The actual object is to place oneself as close to danger as possible, to experience the adreneline rush involved. Ban it, and they would seek this thrill some other way - most likely criminal and almost definitely in a dangerous manner. So can it be safe? Of course it can! And how - planning and preparation, good knowledge and proper equipment. Do you really think they participate in the sport EXPECTING to be killed or injured? Of course not. But it is a possibility and they do everything they can to offset it, while still achieving the result they crave. I salute them. And if that sounds like an anorak or a despot to you, then I despair. If through this discussion I am failing to get this message out to my fellow professionals then I see I have a long way to go yet.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas People, IT'S A PUPPET!!!!!!!! I used to watch Andy Pandy, Bill & Ben, Joe 90, Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5 (God I am showing my age)and all other sorts of dross on the telly but it did not make me go out and break the law....Or do daft things, or make me a bad person, this is were Parents must take ownership instead of shifting the blame on TV programmes and puppets. Kids will always have accidents and they will learn not to do it again, you cannot closet kids, they need to know what is like to trip up and skin their knees.....They will try not to make the same mistake again (The University of Life) Have the Aussie authorities got nothing better to do than watch Bob The Builder!!!!! Aye, Captain Sensible... Sod the spelling
Admin  
#17 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack A bloke who spends a weekend fishing wonders how people find time to watch Bob the Builder!
Admin  
#18 Posted : 23 June 2004 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan A few facts that may be of interest to some contributors to this thread. It is illegal for a child to drive an agricultural self-propelled machine (such as a tractor) and other specified farm machinery. It is also illegal to allow them to do so. The observed young tractor driving person may well have had some sort of an apprenticeship overseen by an adult who apparently knew no better. Young people are not necessarily made aware of certain restrictions as to their activities. They rely on sensible adults for guidance (or not). A four-year-old child went with her father and others who were undertaking some work on the family farm. The child and others were being carried in the bucket of a loader mounted to the front of a tractor. The tractor hit a rut in the ground and the child bounced out of the bucket and ended up under the tractor. One more fatality that may well have been caused by this wonderful life experience apprenticeship that had not managed to introduce the concept of risk to adults. The farming incidents detailed in my response to the original posting were not cartoons although they were shown in a cartoon type programme. These were actual video images of children. Whether the shots were staged is irrelevant. They showed examples of good ways to get yourself injured or worse. Other examples abound. People who think like myself and (apparently very few) others do not ban conkers or climbing frames. They ensure equipment is safe, supervised and all risks adequately assesssed. Above all they try (often in vain) to ensure that adults set a good example to young people as far as saefty is concerned. As the school curriculum changes we see young people learning about risks associated to various activities, including the careers they may wish to pursue. This enables them to make informed decisions as to what they do or where they work. The enforcing authorities and other responsible organisations, including the body we belong to, make sure that young people are better informed about safety. The emergency services try to impress upon young people that it is cool to tell someone to slow down when they are worried about the way they are driving. Not all of these people can be wrong. It is not about ensuring every safety precaution is taken or seen to be taken but being aware of what is put into programmes seen by our most impressionable age group. Parental responsibility is most certainly important but when parents learn through the apprenticeship of life with little or no input from external sources bad habits can and will become routinely accepted as the norm. Children will indeed be children, sometimes they will be lucky enough to learn from the accidents and close scrapes they experience. Others may become another statistic to add to the 42 child fatalities listed over the past ten years in the agricultural industry alone. Most certainly with Sean on this one.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 23 June 2004 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J Going full circle again. The tractor bucket incident, tragic as it was, would, I'm sure, relate well to the "old" construction industry and BTB, ie, the old dump truck carrying the guys of to tea break!! But the next time you see little Johnny, Billy, whoever, pushing his little wheelbarrow with his pal in it. Would even the most beaurocratic H&S professional comment to the child on the forseeable dangers of such an action? Would they report it to mum or dad? Responsible parential supervision and guidance will always prevail. Oz has gone too far.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 02 July 2004 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill As part of my own professional devlopment, I've just finished a 3 day attachment to the Sussex Police Forensic Collision Investigation and Recontruction Unit (Accident Investigators in 'old' money)I wanted to get some insight into their accident investigation procedures and boy, were my eyes opened. I was absolutely dumbfounded at the number of people who STILL don't wear seatbelts. Why is this? How time consuming is it? I'm sure if, like me this tuesday morning, these people had witnessed at first-hand this poor persons scalp and hair still congealed in the broken windscreen, they'd be more keen to buckle up. Young people ARE impressionable and will follow what they learn from telly. At the end of the day, whilst I don't expect ALL programming to be a safety information film, we do owe children a duty of care for the future.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 02 July 2004 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett This whole debate reminds me of a bit on the Finding Nemo DVD. The animators got some marine biology expert to come and talk to them about how fish swim, move, act and so on. A few weeks later they proudly showed him the initial version of the film, and the biologist was aghast. "Fish can't do that with their dorsal fins!" he cried. "No," said the animators. "And they can't talk either." Kids are not stupid. They know that Bob isn't real. They know that cats aren't blue, that cement mixers can't talk and that no builder in the history of the world ever built a conservatory in a day. So they are surely to goodness not going to even dream of following his example, even if their parents are irresponsible enough not to force them into their seat belts. None of this is new. When I was young back in the heady 70s the fear was that Bill and Ben would stop children from developing the ability to speak. Arrant nonsense. Flobber.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 02 July 2004 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Zoe, I heard a programme recently that interviewed the marine expert invovled - the interesting thing was not so much the liberties they took to anthropormphise the creatures, but that they took his recommendations and assistance very seriously in order to get it mostly right and exaggerate the obvious parts to keep the story line interesting. There is a movement in Pixel to ensure similar collaborations in future due to the success of the movie. But what was really interesting was the response in academia. At first the expert was relucatant as he thought that having contributed to "kids stuff" might harm his image within the field of very serious academicians and it was with trepidation that he went to a conference in Brazil shortly after the film had been released. He knew that others would be aware of his involvement and that it would be round the delegates like wildfire. And it was. But to his amazement and relief, everyone congratulated him on his efforts - and everyone there made a point of talking with him! Of course we know it is just a cartoon. But there is a deeper issue. Let's put it this way - do you know (really know) what your children are watching on TV each and every day? Are you happy to let others teach them their morals, ethics and place in the world? If TV didn't influence children, why do corporations put such high budgets into advertising their wares to them, and why is "pester power" so powerful? You are swimming uphill trying to change the behaviours of adults. Do you actually want to make a contribution to societal safety or is it just another job? The danger of course is brain-washing - making each individual "conform" to acceptable thoughts and behaviours - then again, isn't that what a society does anyway? We all act aghast when there are fatal accidents, but somehow we seem reluctant to make actual changes that will have real effect. Strange.
Admin  
#23 Posted : 03 July 2004 01:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA IOSH.... Please remove my log in and do not allow me to log in again.......... This is KILLING ME!!!!! 01.13 and i'm reading this dribble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS A PUPPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Admin  
#24 Posted : 03 July 2004 06:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof Isn't the word 'drivel'? Dribble is what nanny's clean up. Ahh yes, I see the link!
Admin  
#25 Posted : 04 July 2004 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber Joseph Byrne stated in response 6 on this thread that "Seemingly if you have an accident on site but die in the ambulance on the journey to hospital or in the hospital itself...you don't fall into the criteria of construction death" I do not believe that this is true. When an employer reports a fatality through RIDDOR the question of where the victim actually died does not arise. Where did this idea come from? Richard
Admin  
#26 Posted : 05 July 2004 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Richard, Have a feeling that Joseph was misquoting my response to james mackie's posting on European statistics for accidents on 7 June when I wrote... " The EU is trying to negotiate a Directive so that we all count the same apples, but struggling even to secure agreement on what constitutes a fatal accident, not least since some fuddy duddies in the UK are extremely loathe to cede our 12th or 13th Century "year and a day" rule. IT'S TRADITION !!! Conversely in other places if they get you into the ambulance and away from the scene of the accident before you die, then not classified as fatal. " I was thinking of parts of Italy. The year and a day rule is enshrined in RIDDOR Reg 4 even though we managed to drop the day. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#27 Posted : 11 July 2004 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Thought I'd provide an update on this: Bob has just been called to an urgent job where part of a museum has collapsed. Unable to hide his disappointment, Bob suggested to his employees that they could rush the job, and still have time to go for a picnic after. No mention of notifying HSE! (My kids were watching and I was just working at the table.....Honest!) Nick
Admin  
#28 Posted : 12 July 2004 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Oh no! Was Mr Beasley hurt?
Admin  
#29 Posted : 12 July 2004 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Zoe, No don't worry - Bob has just paid £200 for a health & safety policy and three risk assessments from a website. He is now "fully compliany" and can go on his picnic with a clear conscience. Regards Nick
Admin  
#30 Posted : 12 July 2004 17:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack He was done. There's a place on the web which only charges £129.99!!