Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2004 16:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston
Is anyone aware of any guidance as to whether hockey and football should be played at the same time, along side each other, on a synthetic (or other) sports pitch.

Is there a minimum distance between playing areas, i guess there must be a run off zone in case of stray balls etc or should only one sport be played at a time?

Any guidance, advice or comments appreciated?

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2004 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
I run our local hockey team and we were asked the same question.

After research with the suppliers of the pitches we came up with a net drawn across the pitch to stop the balls from entering each area. Also constant monitoring so and people knocking the ball at or over the nets are taken off the pitch

Hoep this helps

Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2004 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston
Thanks for this Ian,

We have had this type of system in place, however there is no way of measuring the tension of the overhead wire.

Following a visit there, I was concerned that the supporting 3 inch square steel stantions were bowing inwards substantially due to tension of the steel wire. I was amazed that the cable had not failed.

When the wire was relaxed to release the tension to a suitable level the nets were only 3 foot from the ground in the middle of the pitch (due to the sag from one side to the other).

On this basis I asked our insurance company and an independant engineer to look into it. They both suggested that the system be removed with immediate effect. It was also suggested that hockey and football is not played at the same time unless there is a suitable space between them.

Hence trying to seek alternative solutions.

Any more advice appreciated!