Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2004 17:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Eden An insurance company has quoted that the competent person (under MHSWR) must posses as a minimum full corporate membership of IOSH and be an RSP and PI cover of at least £5M. Comments welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2004 18:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Mark That's well beyond what the law requires but what will be the impact on the premiums if this 'guidance' is ignored? Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2004 19:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Cartwright Get another quote.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2004 21:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie I know that employers liability insurance must be for £5 million but don't think there is any legal requirement or limits on PI insurance. What qualifications/training/ experience the insurers consider necessary for them to accept a proposal is a matter for them. As previous resonse states try another insurer.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2004 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Some of you are jumping to conclusions. PI issue aside, maybe Mark's company operates in a high risk industry. This level of competence (and proof thereof) could be entirely valid.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2004 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne I carry out a lot of insurance surveys and one of the issues that repeatedly comes up is competent assistance under reg 7 of MHSWR. I have to make a judgement on whether the company has access to competent assistance that is adequate for their needs. Whilst I could give some guidance on what is deemed competent, I would never stipulate a minimum qualification and PI cover requirement for the person(s)providing the assistance. However, as one respondent has already mentioned, the insurers (as in the underwriters and not the surveyor) can stipulate whatever they feel is necessary to protect their premium. Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 June 2004 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Eden A foot note to add the industry in question is Construction (projects such as small developements of luxery appartments) and low and behold there was a recommendation of a large H&S consultancy as well (nationally known in britain)
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 June 2004 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday I have found this piece of case law, in Tolley's, that seems to suggest the courts do not view the NEBOSH Cert as adequate to show the knowledge part of 'competence'. In the case Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council v J Sainsbury plc14 (1998), Sainsbury was fined £425k and £75k costs when a warehouse operative was killed by a reach truck in December 1996. The truck’s safety cut out switch had been deliberately disconnected. The charges included failing to appoint competent person under 7(1) of MHSWR. The person appointed as H&S adviser at the depot was a general nurse with a general certificate from NEBOSH, an insufficient qualification to undertake this role unassisted. At company level there was a safety advisor but his role did not extend to advising on the operational hazards associated with reach trucks at the depot.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 June 2004 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan I do not see that the case shows that a nebosh cert. does not show competence, it may be the case that if the cert. holder had also had experience and qualifications in the operations of reach trucks they would have been competent. It is not the nebosh cert. alone that is the issue but any other relevant qualifications depending on the industry you are working Dave
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 June 2004 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday Point taken Dave. I was using this case as a general point rather than commenting on the specific nature of the case. I would think however that one of those devious legal types would be able to slant this decision to include most situations.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 12 July 2004 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood You generally can't tell one surgeon from another so you look at the letters after his name. Then you ask 'has he got experience of this operation?' then you ask 'can you give me some references to back up what I know about you?'. I don't think IOSH would ever say that MIOSH is the holy grail for competent persons in safety but they will acknowledge that it is a very good starting point to work from! If an insurance co. decides that this is the starting point then who can blame them - what else have they got to go on?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 12 July 2004 22:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I take then that the the insurers are also into providing health and safety consultancy and have a plethora of MIOSH RSP employees with not a lot to do!! Stuart