Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2004 23:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
We have a debate about Bob the Builder, on the career forum a debate about the pros and cons of a driving licence included on a job specification and a position advertised for a 17-21K salary for quite specific skills.

Now I think I have a good sense of humour but am I wrong in thinking something is amiss...perhaps it is the summer heat.

Ray
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2004 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
I know. It's all gone a bit mad.

I felt really ill yesterday after seeing the heading "Induced Vomiting" and then reading a posting about strimmers and getting covered in wet dog poo when the strimmer hit the wet dog poo.

But I think this job is one of the most interesting in the world, and sometimes things seem so far fetched or ridiculous but they do happen or are possible.

In my short time in H&S I've been locked in a mental hospital (accidentally), been mistaken for a H&S inspector, tried my hardest and successfully managed not to pass out or slip in the blood in a slaughter hall, been told that the erection of a steel mezzanine floor with a forklift truck was low risk, been asked what happens if someone is vegan and can't wear leather safety shoes, been shown personal injuries and asked my opinion on people's chances of a claim, been stopped by Customs & Excise but not dipped for red diesel because I was wearing my high visibility jacket and when they asked me who I worked for I said I was a H&S consultant, and fallen on my backside a few times along the way!

Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2004 09:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
I wouldn't mind betting Bob the Builder uses red diesel. And that scarecrow certainly does.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2004 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham
That's nothing Karen, on my first day in my current job I was mistaken for a consultant. The shame! The silliest question I've had to deal with was "Is there a regulation that says we can't use the chemical process ovens to reheat food?"
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2004 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen
The comment about driving licences is a serious one which we as safety practitioners would do well to address. Whether or not you accept global warming theory, it is getting warmer for whatever the reason and there is only a finite amount of oil left in the world. If we have not already hit peak oil production we will do so in the next few years. From then on oil will become increasingly expensive and there will come a point when it will be too scarce to burn in the engines of personal transport vehicles. This may occur in our life times; if it doesn’t we still have a duty to ensure that our children’s generation is equipped to meet this situation.

We had a golden opportunity in the Seventies, at the time of the last oil price hike, to invest in public transport and move our society away from dependence on the car. Unfortunately we continued our profligate lifestyle and actually pushed up the cost of public transport while making it easier and cheaper to run a car. The result is that today we are less well equipped to meet the challenge of finite oil resources than we were 30 years ago.

It is my view that ability to drive a car is no more part of the skill set of a competent safety professional than ability to ride a horse or drive a coach and four. Unless we challenge the “clean current driving licence” mentality we will never start to move away from our current dependence and will bring the crisis closer.

I know of companies now which actually forbid their employees from using cars for journeys of more than a certain distance for both safety and environmental reasons. As someone pointed out in the thread about helicopters at school, road is the most dangerous form of transport and it is our responsibility to minimise its use by people at work – including ourselves.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
LOL

I also regularly got mistaken as someone from DHSS or a private detective, and had the power to clear a building site in less than 10 seconds upon production of a digital camera!

Karen
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2004 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J.
Hi Karen you just reminded me of a practice when I was an apprentice in a toolroom..we used the ovens in the hardening and tempering shop to heat pies etc. usually on a saturday morning ..problem they were situated next to the cyanide coating baths.. ahh the good old days...not sure how many of my old comrades are still eating pies!!!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2004 22:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
OK, ok, I get it. It is the silly season and therefore as I started this thread I reserve the right to add my silly story.

When I was a jewellery apprentice my manager told me a story when he was working at Garrards the Crown jewellers. They had just installed some new ovens to dry out polished and cleaned jewellery. Prince Phillip HRH was on a guided tour by some suited bod and was shown the new ovens and when he opened the oven door, low and behold, there was a...steak and kidney pie sitting there.

True story.

Ray

Admin  
#9 Posted : 17 June 2004 23:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
In a previous job I worked in a factory that made multi-layer ceramic capacitors. The terminations (end caps) were silver plated and this was done by putting them through a plating line.

When the baths were drained down to be cleaned, what was regularly found? Cutlery. Someone must've been doing a wee sideline in silver plated cutlery...

Karen
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 June 2004 08:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
This would not happen with Bob the builders oven, as the oven would complain.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 18 June 2004 08:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson
Well as it is a Friday and is also the silly season.

The earlier reference to apprenticeships reminds me of my days as a apprentice many years ago.

The technique for warming pies was to turn a 3 bar electric fire on its back and then to place the pasties and pork pies on to wire guard over the elements.

The advantage of this system would be that you could then, while the pies heating, speculate on the actual contents on the pies which were described in graphic detail.

This would almost guarantee that the youngest apprentice would decide that he was not really hungry and offer his pie to someone else.

These day of course such actions would not be seen as PC and the Safety Officer would become somewhat excited.

If it is still silly season later in the day I will tell the wheel barrow story.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 18 June 2004 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Moran
Pies....there is nothing more comforting when facing a long autumn night shift in the high-risk area behind the cones on the M25 than opening the bonnet of the car after the thrash down(within speed limits of course!) to find a perfectly heated pie wrapped in foil on the manifold of the engine! Sets one up perfectly for the safety audit to follow!!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 18 June 2004 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
Disagree.
What you really need is an AFV432 a two week exercise in Germany, a box of tinned assorted soups, placed on the louvres of the engine extract fan----a mobile canteen for the lads-----lovely. Couldn't be bothered to stop and cook!!