Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2004 12:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Harrison
Last year we introduced a company policy that bans the use of all mobile telephones whilst driving under all circumstances. Our Board decided to relax this requirement by allowing specified employees to use a hands-free kit provided a) there was a clearly identified business need to contact them at all times, b) the "case" was signed off at Director level, and c) the hands-free kit is a "fully" installed version fitted under our arrangements.

Since said hands-free kits have been in use, situations have arisen where a 'phone may be passed from person to person or vehicle to vehicle thereby separating it from its hands-free kit!

I have been tasked with finding out the pros and cons, preferably with supporting evidence or at least "official" viewpoints, of using a bluetooth headset conpared to a installed hands-free kit. Can anyone help with this?

ps: Please - no re-runs of the use/no use arguments, discussions etc I am aware of the issues and have my own firm views on the subject; I just need to answer the question set by my guvnors!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2004 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray
I have given to presentations to IOSH Bristol branch on the subject of mobile phones whilst driving.

I have 2 questions for you;-

1. Is a person that important that the business cannot function with out speaking to them?

2. What does the firm do when the person is on holiday or if they have been involved in a serious road traffic accident, will the company grind to a halt?

If the answer to both the questions is 'NO' then why is it so urgent they they must speak with them on the phone whilst driving, when using voice mail in a save place is more appropriate.

In reality if people plan their working day better and put control measures in place that are notified to the people that need to speak with them they will gradually understand and they may also change their practices for the better.

If you are holding a protracted conversation whilst driving you are not concentrating on the road but on the conversation, therefore you could be committing an offence of driving without due care and attention, if they were involved in a fatal or serious accident then the police may request the telephone log for the time of the accident and that could result in a charge of either causing death by dangerous driving or dangerous driving.

Someone would have to justify to the HSE if they changed their policy and an road traffic accident involving a member of staff was subject to an HSE investigation.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2004 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson
Simon,

I don’t wish to enter the should we should we not debate either.

I use a totally hands free Bluetooth device which does not use a headset and is transferable between vehicles.

It works extremely well and if used sensibly may meet your needs. Details can be found at

http://www.gadgets.co.uk/bluetooth-car-kit.html

Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2004 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Delwynne
speaking only from a 'use' point of view. Bluetooth handsets can work extremely well and can be given to certain individuals for 'speacial occasions' only, which is an advantage over the hands free cradle. The only complaint which I have heard of is that the earpieces do not suit all individuals ( a bit like hearing protection issues). If a person is suffering discomfort from the earpiece they will either not concentrate on their drving or will take it out and hold the phone to their ear.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2004 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
I think I'm correct in saying that blutooth communications are not encrypted and therefore anyone with the correct receivers could pick up conversations. Not recommended if the information being passed is sensitive
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2004 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Ling
Sorry to barge in on your discussion thread Simon but I have only minutes ago had a question from a Manager about relaxing our current rules which say "mobiles (including hands free) are not to be used when driving". I don't want to rake up old disputes but am I right in summing up that everyone has their own views and that it is up to management to decide, but that if handsfree are allowed then it is better to use bluetooth handsfree phones.

Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2004 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
Ron,

Security should not be a major concern in most instances because

1. The data is digital, not clear speech and therefore cannot be received by normal radio means.

2. Bluetooth range is around 30m max for devices designed to be long range. Hands free kits usually 3-5m line of sight, no obstructions. Put a person and a car door in the way and this drops to less than a metre.

The non-headset device mentioned above is ideal for this situation.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics

Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2004 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pollington
Our organisation is discussing the same issue too. However is it better to have the blue tooth head set or the device or sits on the dashboard