Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2004 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joanne I work as the health and safety manager of a firm which has chemistry laboratories. We have an issue here at the moment that due to the warming temperatures a number of chemists are coming to work in shorts or short skirts. At the moment our clothing policy just states '... no open toed shoes...'. Is this enough? We have provided the chemists with a lab coat to act as PPE but the length of the coat stops at their knees and then if they are wearing shorts then they have bear legs exposed. If say an acid spills over not just their coat but also their legs then this could be more harmful than if they were wearing trousers. It doesn't help our case that our labs aren't air conditioned. Any thoughts? Am I taking it too far, or do you agree? It would be great if people who manage chemistry labs could also let me know what their companies stand point on this issue is? Jo
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2004 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephanie I've previously worked as a safety rep in a chemistry lab, and this debate happened nearly every summer, as shorts were not allowed, but skirts were, so long as they were at least knee length, and tights were worn. Quite what protection tights are meant to afford against acid spills I really don't know! Generally, all members of staff wore jeans or long trousers. I don't think you're overreacting. Having seen someone drop acid down themselves, yes it burnt through their lab coat and jeans, but they still didn't suffer any serious injury. I dread to think what it would have been like if it had spilt straight onto bare skin. Hope this helps, Steph
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2004 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Joanne I do not think that lab coats would count as PPE, as they are not impervious. They should only be regarded as work clothing. Where there is a risk of splashing or spillage of hazardous substances, more appropriate protection (gloves, aprons, etc.) would be required. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2004 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Baynes Doesn't the hair on the bear legs afford some protection?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2004 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dee Previously having been responsible for H&S in a lab facility I can sympathise with your dilemma. Lab coats, overalls can be considered as PPE if they are to specification for the work being carried out, eg. flame-retardent, etc. Remember PPE is the last line of defence it is reasonable to expect employees to be covered by wearing trousers, etc. As stated in a previous response the trousers will make a difference, similarly as gloves do while they may still be an injury caused, chances are the severity will be less. If they insist on wearing shorts, consideration should be given to providing coveralls (boiler-suit type) therefore providing all over protection but make sure that whatever you decide your policy reflects this and the information is communicated clearly to staff. Dee
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 June 2004 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve e ashton I don't necessarily condone bear legs in laboratories (nor gorilla arms come to that) but....jeans are NOT protective clothing, and should never be considered as such. If a liquid is splashed onto bare skin, the splash will be felt, probably identified as harmful, and washed off rapidly without causing significant harm. A liquid splashed onto denim fabric will probably not be felt immediately, could remain in contact with the skin for some time, would be difficult to wash out without endangering modesty (personal experience speaking here...), and is likely to cause more problem than local acid burns.... Consider skin irritants, allergens, skin-absorbed toxins etc. What you have to decide is what are the hazards, how severe are the risks, and is the level of risk acceptable? If not, what is the employer doing to eliminate, manage or control to acceptable levels? Do not rely on employees wearing particular types of personal clothing.... If PPE is necessary (as a last line of defence), then it must be suitable for the purpose, and must be provided by the employer.... Steve
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 June 2004 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart Be careful that the animal rights extremists don't get to hear of this. Experimenting in a laboratory on bears legs will really get their backs up. Return all bears to the woods where they belong and where they can exhibit their natural behaviour. Is the pope catholic? Friday, nuff said.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 June 2004 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze When I read about 'bear legs in labs', I thought it was a reference to this news story... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/...rld/americas/3818747.stm Either way, it sounds like a bad idea.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 June 2004 17:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tracey Arnold I have worked in labs for most of my working career and have never had it stipulated that I must wear trousers. Skirts and shorts have never been a problem. Safety shoes have always been stipulated or enclosed shoes, no high heels or open toed sandals. Having been in an incident with concentrated sulphuric acid, whether you are wearing clothing on your legs or not really doesn't make a difference because the acid eats through it so rapidly, it is easier to rinse bare skin than trying to take contaminated clothing off! I would tend to agree with the argument of: 'at least if you spill it directly onto your skin, you feel it and wash it off immediately'
Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2004 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Kinnison In our Univeristy Chemistry department we stipulate that researchers must be properly dressed for the task. Working in a 'wet' chemistry laboratory means that legs and arms are covered, in addition to wearing a lab coat. The issue is easily addressed (no pun intended) by a risk assessment/coshh assessment. Wearing full length clothing will reduce the severity of a spillage incident.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 02 July 2004 18:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Hall We state that "it is recognised that your own clothes will offer some additional protection against spillages, so only suitable clothing should be worn." Suitable is easy in terms of shoes (i.e., no open toes, enclosed and reasonably solvent resistant), and we provide safety shoes to anyone handling drums of solvent, 20L glassware, gas cylinders, etc. For everything else, we advise that trousers or long skirts are preferable, and try to back that up with education of staff. The alternative (providing work clothing to everyone) is disproportionally expensive, and most people posses enough common sense to wear appropriate clothing.