Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2004 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darryl
Can any one help? Our company loads and unloads lorries outside of the premises on a small country road. This is not a busy road by far mainly for local residents, but when loading/unloading the Fork lift and lorry blocks the road for abount 10-15 min. There is clear view down the road by the FLT operator and its lights and flashing beacon are on. Are they allowed to load on the road and if so should there be people stopping the odd car that comes along. They still load in the winter with no street lighting.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2004 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Darryl,

I think you may find that obstructing the highway is an offence. You would be wise to contact your Local Authority and the police for further guidance on this matter.

If permission is given by the aforementioned bodies to load and unload vehicles on the highway then you will need to implement an effective management control of the situation.

I would be interested to see others views on this matter as it does occur quite often on city roads which get a lot more traffic than the road Darryl is referring to.

Regards,

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2004 18:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd
While the vehicle being loaded/unloaded would be obstructing a public highway, this rarely applies for short periods. The truck would have its lights on anyway, warning cones should be used and the fork truck should have its lights and amber warning light on. This should satisfy the legalities.
The local highway authority or council department dealing with parking should be consulted, as a parking exemption may be needed if parking is restricted in that area.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2004 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
Don't quote me but I remember hearing something about forklifts not being allowed on a public road unless it has licience plates etc. there may be distances involved in this and Im sure someone has more to tell you about it.

Just thinking of insurance implications.

Jason