Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2004 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John-Mark
I am a Technical Officer (Occupational Safety) within a Local Authority Environmental Health Department. Coming into the post from a Trade Union background, I already have the TUC Certificate in Occupational Health (equivalent standard to NEBOSH Diploma Pt 1), and by way of a refresher have just taken the NEBOSH General Certificate examination (yes, it's a strange way to do things, I know). I was hoping to enrol on the Diploma in H&S Enforcement at Notts Trent University, but it has been cancelled due to poor take-up of places, so I am now at a loss as to which route to take re further professional training. I do not possess a degree, so may be a bit restricted. NEBOSH Diploma 2 is one option. Are there any others more specific to my occupation?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2004 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan
Why not try the MSc route ?
Dave
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2004 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
It depends on whether you intend to stay in Local Authority. If you want to earn some real money then you will need to get into the private sector. Therefore enforcement qualifications will not be as relevant as practitioner qualifications.

You could spend a lot of time and effort on gaining qualifications in enforcement but, unless things have changed drastically, you will never be allowed to earn as much as an EHO even if you are more qualified in H&S (old school tie brigade and all that). I have been there, done that and bought the t shirt.

Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2004 15:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike.mcdonnell
You might also want to consider the NVQ route as some of the work you aready have undertaken, depending on time contraints, might earn you some credit.

Also the NTU Dipolma is francised, (I am a project superviosr at the couse here in Manchester) in other parts of the country,

IOSH do a fact sheet on acredited courses. Hazel Havey would be able to advise further or feel free to give me a bell on 0161 827 5332

regards

mike
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2004 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John-Mark
So far, response to my enquiry has been very encouraging. Mike McDonnell has provided lots of useful information, for which I am very grateful, and I note Paul's comments. I am inclined to agree with you,Paul, but I've been in local government for nearly 16 years, (not always in Env Health, but nearly all in a H&S role), all with the same Council, so I'm pretty well settled!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 June 2004 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee
As you are probably already aware HSC has issued (mandatory) guidance under Section 18 of the HSW Act to Local Authorities regarding enforcement . This includes requiring LAs provide a trained and competent inspectorate.

"Competence means the ability to perform all the activities required in a particular occupation to the levels of performance expected. It includes the ability to apply skill and knowledge to new
situations. In relation to inspectors, it encompasses organisation and planning of the work of undertaking enforcement action in accordance with legal procedures and the interpersonal skills necessary to deal with colleagues and the public."

The core competencies required are specified in the units of the NVQ for Regulators but the NVQ itself is not mandatory.

Some qualification will be necessary to give the required knowledge of H&S law etc (although theretically this could also be done in house!)

If the Nottingham Trent course is no longer available I am not aware of any other courses specifically aimed at enforcement officers.

When I started in Env Health I did the NEBOSH Nat Gen Certificate first followed by the Postgraduate Diploman in Occ Safety & Health at University of Salford. Not all Postgrad diplomas require a degree - many have alternative entry requirements as well.

This was accomapnied by training days & seminars (e.g. PACE, serving notices, legal proceedings etc) and internal training & supervision. Some element of on going training, supervision, peer review & assessment is also necessary.

If it has not already done so your authority should establish how it will ensure it's inspectors gain the relevant knowledge and practical experience to be classed as competent. There seem to be plenty of courses on specific issues but no overall regulators academic course.

Good luck

Simon
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 June 2004 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John-Mark
Simon,

Many thanks for useful comments. It is good to get replies from folk who have followed a similar path to the one I'm now on. I am currently following up the many leads supplied to me by Mike McDonnell, and I note your point about seminars etc. I am actively seeking such training in all sorts of subjects, from racking safety to the DSEAR regs!

I am not looking at starting any formal training before 2005, but am using this time to decide on the best route to take, whilst getting plenty of other training, and of course "on-the-job" experience.