Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2004 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John McMahon
Is anyone fortunate enough to have an electronic computer based accident reporting system?
If so, how did you tackle the issue of obtaining a signature from a manager/person completing the report online to verify that the information is true and accurate? Does anyone know whether the HSE/insurance companies require accident records to be physically signed? (We are intending to record all of our accidents/incidents electronically and remove the need to manually completed and retain “accident books” at each of our units). Any feedback would be appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2004 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood
We submit F2508s electronically all the time and they don't get signed. If you go to the HSE Incident reporting centre website at http://rweb1.nbapp.com/h...r.nsf/F2508?OpenFrameSet you will see that the form requires the name, job title etc of the person reporting and there is no space for a 'signature'. Even the insurance companies now do a lot by email, which does not get 'signed' but you can affix an electronic signature to an Outlook email if necessary. I think the only signature needed is for a Statement to the HSE or a cheque to the insurance company!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2004 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Morison
John,
George is right in what he says. However, from my experience, you will need signatures on 'Witness Statements'. I suspect that this paper hardcopy is going to be necessary for the present?

regards,
Keith Morison
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2004 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy
In my view, the computer based accident or incident reporting system, if properly used and monitored is a tool in the overall process of identifying accidents and accidents trends and accident (or incident) that should be formerly investigated. Monitoring the database enables us to implement further action such as an accident investigation. (The extent of the investigation and who undertakes it will be determined by its seriousness or potential seriousness. If things like statements and signatures are needed, the investigation would be the appropriate time to obtain them). In my view.

We are about to add a facility to report and record acts of aggression or violence to our reporting database so that we can ensure such incidents are properly investigated and the individuals who are exposed to such incidents, receive the support and assistance they need).

John

Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2004 21:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Taylor
WE operate a system where all accidents are recorded in a database (Access) and a summarry of the accident report is logged - e.g. name, area, cause of accident, type of injury etc.

The main accident report is still paper based though which is more useful for the investigation process which requires input from many different parties involved in different roles - e.g. first adier, casualty, supervisor, witnessess, departmnet manager.

The paper version is easily transported through the stages and allows full signatures at each stage. Additional information - risk assessments, training records, photos are readily attached.

To overcome the laborious paperfiling system ALL elements of the report are scanned and stored along with the database (hyperlinking is possible). This also applies to the statutary accident book sheet.

RIDDOR are done electonically and ADOBE files stored alongside.

I certainly would n't look to fully electronicfy the process

regards

MT

hope this helps

Filing of these paper