Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2004 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By johnwaterson
Can anyone help? I ned to work out the HAV limit and i know the HSE calculator is avail but what is throwing me is working out or finding the vibration magnitude m/s2 for the piece of eqpt.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2004 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday
No easy solution here John.

You can use the figures supplied by the manufacturers but these are likely to be way out as they are taken under laboratory conditions.

To find out properly you need to test in use vibration levels with a calibrated meter such as a Larson-Davies IHVM100 (I believe this is what the HSE use). This is a high cost piece of kit but it’s the only way to go for an accurate measurement.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2004 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter

You might be lucky and find your piece of kit listed on the Swedish database listed below (or maybe something similar). Not saying this approach would stand up in Court, but should serve as a reasonable starting point:

http://umetech.niwl.se/vibration/HAVHome.html
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2004 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Derek Rooney MIOSH MIIRSM
John

there would be no easy aswer to this, i've recently done research with Desoutter at Hemel Heampstead who are a manufacturer of air tools. The problem with measuring vibration is not only the technical ability to actually use the recording equipment but everone seems to use the tools in different ways. Take an angle grinding, someone will grind smoothly other put more pressure therefore you have two different readings for the same tool - then you have the grade of disc being used, the grade of metal being ground all of which give you different readings yet again.

We have found that we don;t actually use the equipment long enough to pose a risk from HAVS however we have found that we have a severe lack of knowledge on the subject and lack of training on the correct use of the equipment. Maintenance of the equipment also comes into it. If we take the angle grinder again, if it is not maintained properly then it will vibrate even more - then you look at an 1/4 inch impact wrench if it is not maintained then there is LESS vibration however less torgue meaning people hold the wrench on longer leaving them exposed to HAVS. If it is maintained then you have more vibration although you also have maximum torque therefore no need to hold the wrench longer than necessary.

This is a massive subject and one that i'm still trying to sort out. I have done a Risk Assessment, Safe system of work & information sheets for both employees and Management - you are more than welcome to a copy.

Also it might be beneficial to go along to the Desoutter factory in Hemel

Tel: 01442 344301 or on the web at www.chicagopneumatic.com

regards

Dez

Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2004 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By johnwaterson
Many thanks Gents. I was asked by one of the sites we are about to start work on for the info. I have carried out RA on other eqpt which vibrates and have told operators to use 15 minutes in every 20 with work rotation, strimmers, lawn mowers etc. This info was for a vibrating plate.