Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darryl
If a company gets hire equipment to use on its premises by employees, do they require training by an official trainer or does the hire companies so called training surffice?
The equipment would be a type Hilti gun to fire bolts into steel work. Thank you in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2004 12:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart
Hilti can arrange for a visit to your workplace for a short, practical, certificated training course for those people needing to use the equipment.

This could proably also be arranged by your hire shop.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2004 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
The Hilti gun can be a very dangerous tool if the operator is not fully aware of its capabilities. Unlike the old ramset bolt gun,(going back a bit) the hilti is inherantly more safe, but will still command a certain amount of healthy respect.
Consider if the steel is too thin or too thick for the charge, what about stand-off, what about mis-fires----get the man trained by Hilti I say-or drill and tap the steel if you need a fixing! Like any tool it can be mis-used, but the fact that it is in effect a "gun" would seem more attractive to the more inquisitive.
The hire company will not be held responsible to ensure handover to a competent person, all they will provide are manufacturers instructions and possibly a hirers cert to "state" that the weapon, oops tool, is in good working order
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2004 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie
Darryl
I have not yet come across a hire company that gives adequate training. You are very lucky if you receive a copy of the user instructions. I would satisfy myself that the person operating the equipment is competent before allowing him to use it.

regards

Jim