Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2004 17:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Dear all, Am I the only person that is receiving machinery from EU suppliers that is CE marked but does not comply with the relevant standards? Often machines arrive without suitable guarding, provision of E-stops, no signage and numerous other faults. Perhaps if we had an open list of approved suppliers / manufacturers, it may save us all a lot of time and effort. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2004 18:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Andy The CE mark is only a claim by the manufacturer that the equipment is built to the appropriate standards. It is still up to the purchaser to satisfy themselves (as you are doing) that it is true. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2004 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Thomas The problem with this is that after waiting xteen weeks for delivery, building production plans around the equipment, you find it is really "not fit for purpose". The supplier should confirm in his quotation that the goods comply and have all the safeguards fitted as part of the price. If they don't then you will have to get tough with them. This is a good reason to go back to the old and trusted (English?) supplier(s) who probably charge more but will have all items fitted.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2004 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker The person importing into the EEC is deemed responsible. If the equipment does not comply to relevant directives then an offence has been committed. The Trading Standard people will be interested. At the end of the day though, anyone buying cheap should remember that you always get what you pay for.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2004 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy As I understand it. If the machine was manufactured inside EU for a specific use it will carry the CE mark. If the machine was fitted with components that comply with EU then it/they will also carry the CE mark. If the intended use is deviated, then the CE mark is invalid. If it was manufactured outside EU then no CE mark will be shown unless the manufacturers were given the EU spec with which to manufacture the machine.As for guarding etc, I have had past experience insomuch that the physical guarding arrangements were to be met by the client although there were "linked-out terminals in the controls to enable the inclusion of safety cicuits / alarms etc to be built in. Buy British!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Thank you to all that have replied so far. I was aware that the CE mark is only a claim by the manufacturer, however, the claim and reality is often very different. I do not mind finding issues with guarding and getting them improved, in fact I get a lot of satisfaction doing so, what does irritate me though is having to go through the process so often with various suppliers. Someone may come back and argue that it depends on who your supplier()s) which is fine. But I do think that it is about time that suppliers / manufacturers catch up with the standards and relevant ESR's, (naive of me I know). Regards Andrew
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 June 2004 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart C classic example of CE standing for Caveat emptor or alternatively Check everything!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2004 20:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Self adhesive CE stickers are available in most safety sign catalogues, and what you pay for them is about what the CE mark is worth! Laurie