Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By BarryS
Hi all

What do people think is reasonable fire extinguishing equipment to have in a 2 storey house (rented) for a solo occupant?

at present there are smoke detects and a fire blanket.

I would have thought to be on the safe side 2 CO2 ext - 1 up and 1 down?????
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
Barry,

I would most definitely place a "Dry Powder" extinguisher (In addition to the fire blanket) in the kitchen, you can purchase the new dry powder which covers all Fire Classification A, B, C, & D.

They make mess but,look what a fire can do.

I have undertaken a Fire Risk Assessment for a house that my company rents for duty managers would you like a copy?

Aye

Rod D
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martin morrow
for a domestic property there is no law saying you need extinguishers but if you are going to put them there make sure they are the right ones for the job , i.e. : water or foam , co2 is not really the type for housesas it can deplete the oxygen in small or confined spaces , also bear in mind it is not a good idea to encourage your tenant to fight a fire , really the smoke alarm will activate long before there are any flames to be seen so everyone concerned will get out of the building early enough ,
regards martin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
Barry,

Ensure that your smoke dectectors are on both levels and away from the cooking area (Kitchen) to prevent false activations, hall ways and landings are what is reccommended by Local Fire Brigades, if you are in any doubt contact your local fire brigades safety division, they will be more that happy to visit you and give the relevant advice.

Aye,

Rod
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
If they're (the detectors) battery operated then check them (the batteries) and test the alarm.
If they're mains operated (240 volts)it may also be worthwhile checking the installation date as the lithium back up battery has a life of about 10 years.
Either way periodically check the detectors.
A fire blanket is a normal provision for landlords. Of course you have a part to play as well, in being concious of what's on and what's off.