Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liam Mc Conalogue
Hi All

Would anyone have any details on the above subject, including signage, procedures etc.

Many Thanks,

Liam
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2004 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
Could you be more specific please.
Timber framed as in dwelling house with trad brick outer? (kit-homes?)
Older building with exposed beams etc.
Commercial, residential or for public use.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2004 15:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Hi Jimmy

Timber frames for apartment blocks with block built exterior.

Regards,

Liam
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2004 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
Here are afew pointers to consider.
Directional illuminated signage (non-maintained), running man, arrows etc to escape exits.
Emergency lighting in rooms corridors etc.
Ensure fire doors seals etc are suitably rated.
Timbers must be heat retarded, studding to be same. Fire alarm system (addressable??) to be adequately zoned.
"What to do and not to do" info in the rooms.
Select appropriate detectors in rooms, ie optical smoke in living accom, rate of rise in a boiler room.First aid fire fighting equipment.
Some false ceiling voids will need to have detection by remote indication.
There is alot to consider, sounds like a refurb, for (eg) student accom so opt for a full appraisal, the local authority will need to be involved. Good luck
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Jimmy,

Thanks for the response, however, it is not a refurb- these buildings are currently in the construction stage. Therefore, I was looking more for the construction stage fire safety rather than end stage at the moment.

Many Thanks,

Liam
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
Liam,

What you require is HSG 168 "FIRE SAFETY" In Construction Work, this will give you guidance for clients, designers, and those who are managing and carrying out construction work which involves significant fire risk.

It gives advice on how to stop fire occurring, reducing ignition sources, general fire precautions, emergency procedures, temporary accommodation units and sleeping accommodation

The ISBN is: 0-7176-1332-1

I hope this is of some help, if you would like any more advice please e-mail me direct, I have just completed a £25,000,000 refurbishment of my establishment, so I have a bit of experience on this issue.

Aye,

Rod