Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2004 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sally Barlow
All

Help please. Can anyone give me details of the requirements for having a register and direst me to the specific reg stating this, if it exists.

Thanks
Sally
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2004 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
Will this help at all?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/ab.../licence/supervisory.htm
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2004 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernie Woods
Sally, check out Reg 4 of the Control of Asbestos at Work Regs 2002 I don't believe it explicitly asks for a register but if you read it, the implication is that you can't really comply without one.

Hope that helps
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2004 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john daly
Hi Sally Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations 2002 Regulation 4 which came into force on May 21st calls for the identification and managing of Asbestos.I am not aware of any specific wordage saying a register has to be kept but in Reg 4 it does say the duty holder will ensure conclusions from assessments are reviewed and recorded.It also makes reference to the need to make the whereabouts and types of asbestos known to those who may be affected.So I think the asbestos register has come about as being the best format for recording the findings of a survey
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2004 17:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie
Sally
The register should form part of your management plan. As previous posts have correctly identified the new Regs came into affect last month.

As part of our plan we have identified asbestos, types and locations. We have also put into place permits to work for those identified areas and means of communication to our workforce and contractors who may come into contact with it. Monitoring, control and review also form part of our management plan.

A risk assessment covering the asbestos is also included.

I recommend that if you have got asbestos you get a copy of the regs.

Hope this helps

Jim
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2004 20:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
I agree with Jamie If you dont have a register how do you record or manage the problem, asuming you have one. Also it helps to prevent inadvertant exposures which is what the duty to manage is all about.

Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2004 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sally Barlow
Thanks everyone for your help. I didn't explain myself specifically enough. I have had a query from someone stating we must have a register at every site, whether or not asbestos is present. What are the statutory requirements? Surely if we have a survey stating none is present we don't need a register. Does a register not show existance of asbestos rather than prove none existance, which is what the person querying is getting at? Does the new legislation remove the issue of a specific Reister in the old sense?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 June 2004 19:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
If you haven't got asbestos, you don't need an asbestos register.

Did I really say that?

No it can't be, I think perhaps, I don't fully understand the question!